Ignition pick up

Sergiobabouche

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have a XS650 3G. I have no spark at all. I check the ignition coil the resistance is OK.
I check the resistance of the ignition pickup. The resistance between the B/W and the R/W is 1340 ohms , same value between the B/W and the G/W. This is far from the 700 ohms required.
I bought an other one a second hand. I find again the same value!!! I cannot believe that there is a problem on the two pick up. Some body can give me more information?
Thanks for help.

Those pickups are pretty robust and don't fail very often. Your issue is most likely with the TCI box or coils. I assume you have good battery voltage?

Hello
I have a XS650 3G. I have no spark at all. I check the ignition coil the resistance is OK.
I check the resistance of the ignition pickup. The resistance between the B/W and the R/W is 1340 ohms , same value between the B/W and the G/W. This is far from the 700 ohms required.
I bought an other one a second hand. I find again the same value!!! I cannot believe that there is a problem on the two pick up. Some body can give me more information?
Thanks for help.
Are you opening the connector? The pick up side has grey orange and black wires. the black is the common so you should see 600 +- ohms from black to either orange or grey. or 1400 ohms grey to orange.
pickup wires (418x575).jpg

The coil should not be reading 0! Primary about 3.0 ohms, secondary, plug lead to plug lead with the caps removed about 5K ohms

Last edited:
Those pickups are pretty robust and don't fail very often. Your issue is most likely with the TCI box or coils. I assume you have good battery voltage?
The battery is new and the voltage is OK.
I check the ignition coil , the resistance value are ok: 2,5 ohms the secondary and 13500 ohms on the primary.
I check the resistance of the ignition pick up: 1340 ohms between the Black and the Orange, 1340 between Grey and Black and no continuity between the Orange and Grey.
I don't understand what happens to the pick up.
I have the same value on the second hand pick up I bought...same value which is very strange.I don't see what I am doing wrong. I am using a classic ohmmeter.
thank you for your help, I want to understand the pick up value, I suppose you done the measurement yourself and found the good value.

:umm: I think I might try a different ohmmeter, or change the battery.
Though your coil readings seem right in line. :thumbsup:
Got the book out and TCI coil spec is 2.5 +- 10% AND 11k+- 20%
It doesn't hurt to look carefully at the wires between the pick up and the plug. We have run into several bikes with broken or severely frayed pick up wires in the sprocket area.

So odd that two pickups have the same readings. What position are you using on the meter?
If you meter has sharp probes try checking your readings up at the pick up coils by forcing the points through the wire insulation.

An older "classic " ohmmeter will not zero itself. Make sure the ohmmeter is zeroed at the range you are using. The accuracy of your measurements will also depend on the age and quality of the meter, test leads and battery in the meter. Before doing any measurements it is a good practice to check the meter with the leads shorted(zero the meter at this point or make a note of the test lead resistance). I will sometimes check the accuracy of my older meters by also checking a known resistance. The values you are getting don't seem correct. The pickup coils don't fail generally.

Hello
You were write thé ohmmeter was the problem!
The pickup is ok.
I have order s as new CDI. I will receive it beginning of September. I will let you know
Thanks for your help
Serge

Back