ignition system identity - 1979 XS650

jun8ior

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I created a post not long ago after my bike was acting strangely.
My mechanic has worked on it and says that my ignition system is the cause. He said it's sparking all over the place. It has been previously converted.

I've shown the photos to a local Yamaha dealer but they say that they don't recognize it.
They suggested the option of going for an original, but I'm less keen.

I came across this site, and it looks an awful lot like the one I have.
https://www.mikesxs.net/blog/xscharge-xs650-standard-ignition-installation/

Here's the previous thread with a video of what it was doing when using the throttle:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/carb-issue-or-something-else-1979-xs-650.59414/#post-688411

Does anyone recognize this unit?
I haven't had to deal with this issue before so I really don't know what my options are.
Keep trying to find out what this unit and find a replacement, or roll back to a mechanical one?
What about replacing this with another electrical one, what's involved in doing that vs rolling back?

There's these, but it says 1970-84:
http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/yamaha-xs650-pamco-complete-ignition-kit-advance-assembly.html

Cheers,
M

Attachments

• thumbnail_PXL_20210415_203604075_2.jpg
    thumbnail_PXL_20210415_203604075_2.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 160
  • thumbnail_PXL_20210415_203636281.jpg
    thumbnail_PXL_20210415_203636281.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 153
  • thumbnail_PXL_20210415_203746130.jpg
    thumbnail_PXL_20210415_203746130.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 153
Looks like a Pamco - but depending on how old it is, it could be an early mikes xs ripoff.

if you do a search for pamco you’ll probably find some old threads discussing what went on and how to identify it as an original as the early mikes even said pamco.

you could pull it off and if it doesn’t have any markings it’s most likely a Mikes copy.

Looks like an offshoot of Charlie’s place.

He makes a good product and has fantastic customer service.

it ain’t cheap though

somethig to think about.

Nuts should have at least 2 threads, from the shaft, sitting outside the nut when fully tightened on the shaft.............have a look at this pic and the accompanying paragraph with it.

From
https://rawhidecycles.com/products/electronic-ignition-for-yamaha-xs650-1970-1984

7. After your timing is set, carefully reinstall your points cover. If it does not seem to be fitting well, don't force it. Breaking the trigger cover will compromise the integrity of the unit and void any warranty.

image_327ef2df-986b-4a0a-9797-ade28319ff88_grande.jpg

Questions i would ask. Why is the nut only have on the shaft...........if the nut isn't on the shaft properly, is that why the cover plate may not fit back on as per in paragraph #7.

Is the warning due to the nut sticking out or as a precaution.

If the cover wont go back on then what is their solution to the problem???

They state they spent 6 years developing this product, they warn of a potential problem, that the cover may no fit back on,(obviously it has been or they wouldn't state a warning), without a solution after 6 years of development.............new cars or bikes don't take as long to develop

See the post "Electronic Ignition" and thread on 3/15/21. Basically I think the system has some merit. A problem, as I see it, is that you cannot set the timing with a timing light with the engine running. Apparently, loosening the base plate to rotate it could cause a ground fault and 'F' up the modules. You have to set the timing static and then check it with a strobe and re-set it static as necessary. P.I.T.A. I respect that gggGary went back to a points system which I like. As for the previous post here, I believe I could shave and loctite that nut if that's the clearance problem.

650 - charlie place states that on all the ignition descriptions - I have one on my cb500 and know of many other who run them as well, never heard of any problems.

I think like other system state don’t leave your keys on or you’ll fry it and it ain’t covered under warranty, they have probably had some heavy handed fellas break a few and try to return them.

The ignition seems expensive for what it is. I picked up a brand new Boyer for 230, I’d take that over this system any day.

And setting timing static takes about 5 minutes to do. Not a real deal breaker.

Oooff.... 300 bucks.:yikes:
How about almost identical to that for a tad over a hundred?
Ebay

View attachment 189752
ok, I'm interested.... But can you replace just this unit?

Because I don't know about ignition systems, will this unit work with the rest of the conversion?
The new Gen-II ignition from MikesXS looks interesting, reasonably priced but unfortunately there hasn't been any feedback on it that I've seen .....

https://www.mikesxs.net/xs-charge-xs650-gen-ii-standard-electronic-ignition.html

That is for 1980-84 though. I imagine that wont work on a 1979.
Does anyone know whether this would work?

I'm running out of ideas and need to get the bike out of the shop.

Cheers

Look at the listing again, it is for all 650's, '70-'84. You need an advance unit to run with it. On the '80+ bikes, you'd have to add one as they didn't come with it. On the '79 and older bikes, you would just keep using the original.

Because I don't know about ignition systems, will this unit work with the rest of the conversion?
Maybe you should go to the Tech section and read up on ignition systems. If you then have questions about something you don't understand then ask. Guys here will do their best to help you understand. Then you should be able to make your own informed decision.
If you don't want to do that my advice is buy a Boyer. It will replace your entire ignition system. They work and work well.

Back