Ignition timeing checks

EMira

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys i need a little help. I am working with a freshly rebuilt 71 xs1. I have never had it running yet. I have new vm34’s, red x charge ignition kit, PMA kit from xscharge. Kick start only.
When i kick it i get some popping out of the carbs. Sometimes when i kick it it seems to fire on compression and stops hard. Seems to me to be ignition timing.

Does anyone have some steps to take in order to double check and set ignition timing? Wiring has been simplified.

Thanks

Attachments

• B07B3536-A7A6-4EA5-84CC-30DCB42650E4.jpeg
    B07B3536-A7A6-4EA5-84CC-30DCB42650E4.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 56
Add a charged 12V 5amphr-12Ah battery and try it that way until you get the timing worked-out. May work with cap., may not.

If you're getting good spark, try moving the timing plate counterclockwise a few degrees (perhaps 2-3mm)

Clockwise = advance. So have ya tried some fuel in spark plug hole or starter fluid into carb?

Well it looks like i was 180 out of time, the two lines on my mechanical advancer weren’t lined up. I still can’t get the bike started and I’m back fired out of the exhaust ( its very short) i fee like I’m getting close. I haven’t tried starting fluid or fuel in the cylinders yet.

Back