Ignition timing

Big Todd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
TX650 timing trouble, Just a Question about the cam for the points, Mine has no key ? It keeps blowing the carb off the right boot. I see a hole in the shaft and a slot in the the cam that opens the points but no lock pin so the cam can sit anywhere it pleases on the camshaft end, dont seem right ?

It's not right, you need a locating pin in there to lock the points cam in the proper position for the timing to be correct. It's the same little pin as used on the other side, except there's two over there. One locks/locates the advance unit on the cam, the other locks the little disc on the end of the advance rod.

When you do get another pin, be aware that it can be installed, or aligned really, incorrectly. That will throw the timing way off (180°). The locating pin for the points cam and the one for that little disc on the other side for the advance unit need to point in the same direction for the timing to be correct. It's possible to install them pointing 180° from one another, and that would throw the timing off by that same amount .....

LhHXTz4.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick get back, The extra drawing is a nice tidbit of Info too. I Cut down the tail of a dull drill bit and used it as a lock pin for points cam

Back