Ignition Unit replacement needed

wjbarber

XS650 Beginner
Reaction score
I've just got started on fixing up my 1980 XS650 Special. Whilst stripping the bike down i knackered up the Ignition Unit. As a result my burning question is do i by a new stock replacement or just go for one of the basic Boyer/Pamco ignition kits (does it do the same job as the stock ignition unit?) or is it worth going for the super-duper Ultimate Pamco Electronic Ignition with E-Advancer/Ignition Coil Kit (Part #14-0907) thingy:shrug:?

I don't want to be wasting money buying these kits if there's no real improvements or benefits and I've no experience with XS's, so any advice with be really appreciated!:D

Cheers
Will

Welcome to the forum, wjbarber.

To get you started, do a forum search on "TCI". There'll be hundreds of threads, but just review the ones that have an ignition theme in the title...

electronic ignition is probably the single best upgrade you can do to your bike IMO.

Ask yourself this question. Do you really want a 30-35 year old NOS unit (if there is such a unit) and pay mega $$$ for it or a new, warrentied unit for way less and get a new stronger coil to boot for easier starting? I swear by (not at)proven(by the hundreds if not thousands of users) the PAMCO W/electronic advance and ultimate coil. Best thing I ever did to my SG. I've done my fair share of mods to her. OK that and the KONI dial a ride shocks...

Members of this forum are forever upgrading ignitions and have perfectly good working TCI boxes from running bikes that they want of get rid of for cheap. Make a wanted ad for one. 75 is a good, fair forum price, if you are in a hurry you might have to pay 100, if you are patient I have bought more than one for 35. You take the old one out, you put the new one in, 15 minutes labor time and you are on the road for $75, turn-key.

buy a used TCI box for $50 they're everywhere. If you decide to "upgrade" actually upgrade and get a powerdynamo.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm not confident with electrics so would rather keep it simple and i might consider sticking with stock bits. Good suggestion.

Just one more question - because used boxes are pricey, is there i quick test diagnostic i can do on the old one to see if it works as normal without wiring everything back up to the hareness/bike etc? I'd like to salvage it if poss. I had noticed that all the diodes and stuff look healthy but the casing is knackered.

Will.

I have a used one out of an 81, if they are the same I would sell it for 50 bucks. But it is used so I can't guarantee how long it will last, but I did take it out of a running bike

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm not confident with electrics so would rather keep it simple and i might consider sticking with stock bits. Good suggestion.

Just one more question - because used boxes are pricey, is there i quick test diagnostic i can do on the old one to see if it works as normal without wiring everything back up to the hareness/bike etc? I'd like to salvage it if poss. I had noticed that all the diodes and stuff look healthy but the casing is knackered.

Will.
Will, "wiring everything back up" on a TCI box simply consists of plugging it back in, and should take less time than it would take to test the unit, if there were a way to test it, which there isn't. The only sure way to test a TCI is to swap it into another another correctly running TCI-equipped bike.

For your test, you don't have to properly mount it, just temporarily tie it on where convenient.

If it worked before, and if you only damaged the case, it probably still works. They are fairly robust.

A Boyer and a Pamco are two entirely different ignitions. The Pamco was developed specifically for the XS650. By a member on here, Pamcopete. The Boyer is a system built for another bike and adapted to the xs650.
You asked "Do they do the same job as the stock ignition?" The answer is yes, Any ignition does the same job, they make the plugs spark at the right time.
The stock TCI is a good ignition. It works very well. The problem with it is fixing it when it has problems. As mentioned the only way to test the box is by substitution.
The Pamco comes as a basic unit that was designed to replace the points on the 70-79 bikes. It also replaces the TCI but needs the advance rod, advancer and bushings as used by the points. They need to be installed to make the Pamco work.
Mike's has kits that start with just the basic Pamco and build from there. You can get a kits that are complete with all you need, but use different coils. One coil uses weak terminals for attaching the wires. I don't recall which one. A search one this will find the info.
Pamcopete further improved his ignition by adding the E-advancer. This device eliminates the stock mechanical advancer. This removes several issues with the stock advancer.
Again Mike's has kits from the e-advancer up to ones that include everything.
It sounds like you have stripped the bike down and are rebuilding it. To test the ignition you will need to install the alternator rotor and stator. These have components of the stock TCI mounted on them. The rotor has a magnet in it. The stator has the pickups on it.
You will need to wire up the coil and pickups to the TCI box. You will need a battery to supply power to the TCI box and coil.
Wiring in an on/off switch is a good idea.
In the "Some Electrical Diagrams" thread found in the XS659TECH section you will find plenty of diagrams to help.
I like #4, it shows the basic points system with the early reg and rec. In boxes it has the later TCI and combo reg/rec.
Swap the early boxes for your boxes.
Once you get the parts wired up following one of the diagrams, you should get spark.
Leo

Thanks again guys! Just realising how awesome this site is for tech guru's and generally helpful people. XSLeo - thanks for the breakdown mate, you must have the patience of a saint!:thumbsup:

Anyone near Bolton, Lancashire got an XS650 i can borrow, seriously!

Will.

Back