In need of some guidence on my 1973 TX650.

MplsMurr

1973 TX650
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I would like to start out by saying that I have read a lot of these forums a few years back on and off, well before I ever had a bike. You all seem very helpful, understanding, and overall friendly. I am happy to be part of the community now.

My goal is to turn this into a cafe racer. With that being said, I want to buy a few things for my project every so often.

First, I want to buy clip-ons. I have read that Woodcraft is a good brand. A previous poster had made a thread of a TX650 as well and used 34mm "Woodcraft billet racing clip-ons." Would these be a good fit, 34mm in black?
http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=12-01

Another poster mentioned lifting the forks into the triple tree and then attaching the bars above the tree, would this be better than not messing with the forks and attaching the bars below the tree?

I wanted to do the latter and buy these for my stock headlight.
https://www.mikesxs.net/parts/yamaha-xs650-3-hole-headlight-bracket-set-black

Second, I love the clean look under the seat. I am 95% sure I can, but want to be certain. Can I use the Shorai LFX07L2-BS12 for my bike to run electric start, headlight, taillight, kick start, and possibly change the lights to LED one day.
http://www.batterymart.com/p-shorai-lfx07l2-bs12-lithium-iron-battery.html

Lastly, if I run this battery, can I move the stuff on the sides (relay and these wires) of the bike to under the cowl/hump of my cafe seat, next to the battery?

Thank you all very much in advance for your help.

Only thing I have to add is that if you lift the forks into the triple tree you are lowering your front end by at least an inch, not saying that's good or bad just sayin.

Hello everyone, I would like to start out by saying that I have read a lot of these forums a few years back on and off, well before I ever had a bike. You all seem very helpful, understanding, and overall friendly. I am happy to be part of the community now.

My goal is to turn this into a cafe racer. With that being said, I want to buy a few things for my project every so often.

First, I want to buy clip-ons. I have read that Woodcraft is a good brand. A previous poster had made a thread of a TX650 as well and used 34mm "Woodcraft billet racing clip-ons." Would these be a good fit, 34mm in black?
http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=12-01

Yes, those would work great. Woodcraft makes very nice stuff, and something like clip-ons that serve as part of your connection to the bike are worth spending a bit more on just for reliability's sake.

Another poster mentioned lifting the forks into the triple tree and then attaching the bars above the tree, would this be better than not messing with the forks and attaching the bars below the tree?

This is sort of a dodgy way to lower your front end. There's really not much heavy-duty "messing with the forks" involved - install a longer spacer, and perhaps either shorten the spring or install shorter springs. In either case, if you're just hoping to achieve mounting your clip-ons above the bar, it's doable but not recommended - by me at least... your mileage may vary!

I wanted to do the latter and buy these for my stock headlight.
https://www.mikesxs.net/parts/yamaha-xs650-3-hole-headlight-bracket-set-black

Those will work great. Simple, no frills.

Second, I love the clean look under the seat. I am 95% sure I can, but want to be certain. Can I use the Shorai LFX07L2-BS12 for my bike to run electric start, headlight, taillight, kick start, and possibly change the lights to LED one day.
http://www.batterymart.com/p-shorai-lfx07l2-bs12-lithium-iron-battery.html

You are 95% sure, but 100% right - that battery will work great to run all of that. I've used that same model on several bikes for a number of years, and they've given me no trouble - including the time I almost completely discharged one by accident and then brought it back to life with about 3 days on their special charger.

Lastly, if I run this battery, can I move the stuff on the sides (relay and these wires) of the bike to under the cowl/hump of my cafe seat, next to the battery?

Don't see why not!

Thank you all very much in advance for your help.

That's what we're here for - post pics when you get started!

You can't drop the forks very much by raising them in the trees, maybe 1/2" at most. If you go much more, you run the risk of the fork lowers hitting the bottom tree when you hit big bumps and they compress.

I think I will keep it simple and get the clip-ons attached under the triple tree and above the new ears for the headlight. However, are the forks actually 34mm I have not looked into how to measure them. Is this the circumference of the fork?

I will be getting the battery as well, either from you, Buzz or another party.

I have stock electronics. I want an open frame look. My main concern is in regards to, I think, the relay/starter. What I'm talking about are the electrical components on the sides of the bike under the side covers. Does anyone know if I can relocate these under my seat? Do these need wind to blow over them to cool them down? Will they over heat if under my seat? Can I screw them into a metal sheet horizontally instead of their current perpendicular state? They would most likely be close to the battery.

Thank you all,

Murr.

Welcome to the club!
Some members suggest that a new to you bike can be best appreciated if it is ridden regularly by you before any extensive work is done to it. That way you know whether it is operating properly and if so, you are better able to determine what modifications will fit your use of it.

Yes, some of those electrical components require cooling air and may overheat if buried under your seat.

Forks are usually rated or classified by the diameter of their chrome tubes. In your case, that would be the upper ones that get clamped into your trees. 650s up through '76 used 34mm diameter ones. Later models got a new slightly stouter 35mm fork.

MplsMurr, I also have a 73 tx650 and from Minnesota. I'm looking for the stock seat and forks. Do your plans include getting rid of those?

You can definitely move around all the parts that are currently located on the battery box to almost anywhere you want on the bike...there are a few items that need airflow (like the regulator and rectifier), but you can put those in any position...I'd recommend getting a combo regulator/rectifier for simplicity and upgrading sake...and will look more discreet if tucked upside down/under your seat.

However, the challenge is going to be dealing with the stock wiring harness, as it's been designed for the current layout of where all those parts are placed (There isn't a whole lot of room to move them given the lengths of the various leads, etc.).

To do it well, I'd recommend making (or buying) a new wiring harness that's built around your needs. You can simplify the wiring pretty drastically, and get it very clean. (There are folks on here that make them if you want to save yourself the headache of getting all the parts you need individually)

When I started my project, I had ambitions of getting rid of the battery box, relocating everything for that clean under seat look. And I actually enjoy wiring/electrical on bikes, and yet I still haven't had the motivation to strip mine down...mostly I'm lazy, but also everything works great! I kind of don't want to mess with it until I have to. :)

Good luck!

All,

Thank you for your helpful advice and guidance. I have decided my route with this project.

Prime,

I will not be parting with the forks and I do not have the stock seat. However, if you're around NE and want to cruise or build together. Shoot me a PM.

All,

Thanks for the advice on the reg/rec and combos. If anyone has done the radioshack/NAPA build let me know how that worked for you.

You all are great! Thanks!

Gday Mpls Murr

i too have just bought a an all original 73TX, im waiting on it to arrive by freight in the coming weeks.

i have spent the last month scouring through the internet and figuring out what i want to do with my bike..

As it goes it sounds very similar to yours!as its all original i dont want to cut it so im looking at a brat style look rather than the hard tail bobber look.. so the flat seat, clip on handle bars empty naked looking frame lowered with thick tyres.. they are a very sexy looking bike. ill try and post a pic of my inspirations..

good luck to your build, lets keep us posted see who wins lol :bike:

Attachments

• THE ONE!.jpg
    THE ONE!.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 286
73TX650, sounds good. I will be posting a thread of my build, I hope you will do the same. I have good sources for you and your bike, should you need them. Keep and eye out. My thread is soon to come.

Marlin, I don't believe I follow you on the taper. How does it taper?

This build is fun! I would rather put money into this than any other hobby.

On the 72, (I haven't had the forks off since 1978, but), the fork tubes will not protrude through the top triple tree because the top is tapered. The only way to remove the tubes is to remove the caps on the top. The tubes are only clamped at the bottom triple, the top is tightened into a taper at the top.
Not sure if the book tells you, but when re-installing the tubes, tighten the top caps first, then tighten the lower triple.

All,

Thank you for your helpful advice and guidance. I have decided my route with this project.

Prime,

I will not be parting with the forks and I do not have the stock seat. However, if you're around NE and want to cruise or build together. Shoot me a PM.

All,

Thanks for the advice on the reg/rec and combos. If anyone has done the radioshack/NAPA build let me know how that worked for you.

You all are great! Thanks!

Contrary to others, I recommend you replace the stock rectifier and regulator, with new individual components. For your 1973, the VR-115 regulator and a new 3 phase rectifier will work extremely well for you. Details are in this link:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21485

I have been using the VR-115 for about 7 or 8 years now, and it always gives me 14.2 volts as I drive down the highway. My bikes battery has never needed any external charging, during the riding season. My charging system keeps my battery fully charged at all times. I hear the lads talk about keeping "battery tenders" attached to their bikes in the garage, but I don't understand what they are talking about??

Oh did I mention, in case you are frugal like myself, its much cheaper to go the way I mentioned, rather than pay $100+ for the combines units.

If you buy a 3 phase rectifier from E-bay they produce some heat, but most come with a heat sink, which is all you need.You can mount that anywhere you like, as long as its open to the air. Just don't mount it in an enclosed box.

The VR-115 does not get hot, and does not need a heat sink. Mount it anywhere you please.

RetiredGentleman,

Thank you. This is funny because the link you submitted is the reason I am wondering about the electronics haha.

Well, what do you think:

Regulator:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KVR-179-VR-...ash=item3a9e2e920b:g:3ZIAAOSw-jhUCvZZ&vxp=mtr

Do I simply cut the wires from this and my stock reg. Then connect the wires as such...
Regulator....................... XS650 harness
orange & yellow.................brown (load side of ignition switch)
green...............................green (left outer brush)
black................................common black wire in harness or bare metal on frame.

Rectifier:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bridge-Rect...868770?hash=item43e4e2aa22:g:izkAAOSwA4dWM4Fg

I did not follow how to connect the wires from my stock rec to this. Any help?

Also, can I use galvanized steel, thin metal, thick brass, or metal from a thick L-Bracket as a heat sink? What exactly would a heat sink do besides absorb excessive heat.

Since I am asking, how can I use this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26234120290...1&exe=13926&ext=35632&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

to replace my old starter relay? How to wire it? What to do with the fuse I have?

Back