Inoperable charging system

BACK SHIFT

XS650 Enthusiast
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
My 1982 XS 650 quit on a ride today while riding down the road? It had a miss fire three or so times over in a distance of four or so miles, then it just shut down totally? Had a dead battery, long story short, had to trailer it home, made for a long day? Only thing I have done today was to disconnect the battery which had only 5,5 volts left in it, I did charge it, now reads a good 13 volts, but shows a slight voltage draw of 0.40 on my test meter, disconnected the main fuse 20 Amp, and the battery draw goes away? Any help on the trouble shooting to correct my charging issues, would sure be appreciated, Just one more question, does this machine have a charge indicator, idiot light or something to go on to be able to see a not charging properly ahead of time?
Thanks again in advance for any help.
Backshift,

It may be as simple as worn out alternator brushes. They are considered a wear item on the 650 and once worn too short, they will lose good contact with the rotor. Charging may become erratic or quit all together. New, they measure about 14.5mm long. The wear limit is around half that, about 7mm. If the brushes are originals, they should have a wear indicator line etched in one side .....

BrushWearLine.jpg

I prefer to use original brushes. I think they're made better and wear longer than the aftermarket ones. Your bike has the later style alternator and both brushes are the same. Here's what you'll want to look for .....

BothLateEarlyOuterBrush.jpg

They pop up on eBay all the time and can usually be found for about the same price as the aftermarket ones.

but shows a slight voltage draw of 0.40 on my test meter, disconnected the main fuse 20 Amp, and the battery draw goes away?
While you're reading the .4v drain, try disconnecting the reg/rec.
That's a possible source of a voltage leak, and would also explain the no charge problem.

Thanks Jim,
I will do what you suggested first thing in the morning, and see what develops?
Backshift,

Back