Installing a 35mm Ceriani front end on a 1978 XS 650

Superdriver

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I want to install the pictured front end on my XS and was wondering how hard it would be to do this. any help would be appreciated. I would also have to find a bracket to mount the front disc brake caliper. Thanks. Bill

Attachments

• ceriani front end.png
    ceriani front end.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 83
Cheney engineering makes a stem to convert the Ceriani trees to the XS650 steering head. I had him do this for me when I used Betor forks on my XS650 Scrambler build. He also sells a brake caliper bracket that uses CRF450 Honda caliper. What front wheel and bearing size will you be using?

Cheney engineering makes a stem to convert the Ceriani trees to the XS650 steering head. I had him do this for me when I used Betor forks on my XS650 Scrambler build. He also sells a brake caliper bracket that uses CRF450 Honda caliper. What front wheel and bearing size will you be using?
Thank you for the info. I will be using the yamaha stock 19 inch front mag wheel.im not sure what the bearing size is. I know the front axel is 17mm. I will check the Cheney site. Thanks. Bill

Last edited:
Have you compared the offset in the Ceriani triples vs the stock Yamaha triples? The offset will have a direct influence on the trail.

If there is zero rake in both sets (i.e. that steering stem is paralell with fork tubes) then more offset reduces trail, and less offset increases trail. Exactly how much depends on the actual rake angle, but would be around 80 percent of offset change. So basically, 1/2" of change in offset will change trail by around 3/8" (or 10 mm change will give around 8 mm change in trail)
I do believe the Ceriani triples are fairly close to the Yamaha triples, but checking won't hurt.
Just an example: When people use 90s USD forks from a Ducati on a 70s Japanese bike, they end up with a lot more trail than the bike had originally, since Ducati triples have little offset.

Last edited:
If there is zero rake in both sets (i.e. that steering stem is paralell with fork tubes) then more offset reduces trail, and less offset increases trail. Exactly how much depends on the actual rake angle, but would be around 80 percent of offset change. So basically, 1/2" of change in offset will change trail by around 3/8" (or 10 mm change will give around 8 mm change in trail)
I do believe the Ceriani triples are fairly close to the Yamaha triples, but checking won't hurt.
Just an example: When people use 90s USD forks from a Ducati on a 70s Japanese bike, they end up with a lot more trail than the bike had originally.
Thank you very much. I had no idea what that meant and the effect a change would have on a bike. Take care. Bill

Hi. It did not put The Ceriani on my bike because I could not find anyone in my area that was willing to take on the project. I have what I believe to be a Yamaha Virago front end on my bike and it is very stable at highway speed. I believe the forks are bigger than 35 mm. . Take care. Bill

Back