Installing a Vape all in one charging and ignition system.

Heres my quick thoughts. You may be trying to fix a problem that dosent exst. CDI ignitions need to spin fast to generate a good spark, if kicking you must be agressive and if using electric the motor it must turn over briskly.
Lastly CDI sparks are hard to see especially in bright daylight. I once installed a CDI and spent some time trying to fix a no spark problem pushed the bike into the shade of the shed and could see the spark that was there all the time.

Heres my quick thoughts. You may be trying to fix a problem that dosent exst. CDI ignitions need to spin fast to generate a good spark, if kicking you must be agressive and if using electric the motor it must turn over briskly.
Lastly CDI sparks are hard to see especially in bright daylight. I once installed a CDI and spent some time trying to fix a no spark problem pushed the bike into the shade of the shed and could see the spark that was there all the time.
It's fixed. Bringing the module closer to the coil didn't hurt. After the carbs were gone thru and cleaned again it fired right up. Says in the directions these units can be mounted anywhere so I did. Seems rather exposed, so I asked the question about weathering. I did have the doors shut and lights off in the garage checking for spark. Yes it takes a brisk kick to start but starts first kick. It's two separate circuits but I still have a on/off toggle to the fuse box for all my lights. After running, turn everything else on. Forgot to add, no battery. Sparx capacitor only.

The ignition switch only disconnects the "other" electric loads from the battery. The charging system output is always connected to the battery through the regulator. It is in the stock system also.
Theoretically even with the ignition switch off, rolling down a hill in gear (engine turning) a PMA alternator would still charge the battery.
So with an independant kill switch you can shut off the main switch, leave the engine running and charge the battery with everything else unpowered. "sneak out mode" If everyone in the neighborhood is deaf. :lmao:

I am hooking up a vape system on my 80 xs650. If I want to use the original kill switch do I plug the black wire up to the R/W going to the old coil OR the R/W at the fuse box?

I am hooking up a vape system on my 80 xs650. If I want to use the original kill switch do I plug the black wire up to the R/W going to the old coil OR the R/W at the fuse box?
wiring-diagram-using-stock-kill-switch-gif.157555

New Vape system works!

Now my front headlight does not come on because there was a yellow wire that came from the old alternator that is disconnected. When I hooked the yellow wire up to the Battery, the light worked but for some reason then my ignition switch wouldn't work. Canceling each other out.
Taillight and turn signals all work fine.
Iv looked at numerous diagrams..
Should I be linking the yellow wire somewhere else?

I’m having issues with my headlight. If I pull the fuse, I have 12+ volts at idle. Fuse in, 4 volts. No battery system. Haven’t had time to really dig into it.

And what kind of voltage at say, 3000 rpm? Since the Vape is a PMA, the "raw AC voltage" output is pretty much dependent on rpm, as the magnetic field is constant.
Most bikes with oem PMA systems and a directly powered headlight, will have dim lights at idle

New Vape system works!

Now my front headlight does not come on because there was a yellow wire that came from the old alternator that is disconnected. When I hooked the yellow wire up to the Battery, the light worked but for some reason then my ignition switch wouldn't work. Canceling each other out.
Taillight and turn signals all work fine.
Iv looked at numerous diagrams..
Should I be linking the yellow wire somewhere else?
https://www.xs650.com/threads/headlight-relay.22655/#post-220614

I don’t have a tach. Voltage is staying close to the same with the headlight in the circuit and raising the RPM. It’s dim. It’s an H4 filament bulb. I have an led replacement coming. Led with a fan does not fit in this small bucket. Saw the link, ill look into it. Busy on another project. Kids want their go cart running. Haha Complete overhaul. Predator 212cc.

For the price, this would go on a keeper. Took awhile to get too. Maybe somewhat COVID related but Europe on top of that. This would definitely not go on a fix up and flip bike. I know, I know the cheap Chinese flea bay parts. I still have a bike with a banshee swap and original Pamco that fires up first kick. If memory serves, a lot cheaper. Then again I don’t ride this one often. Hand full of times a year. Just reflecting on my recent “put together”. My mental calculator. Damn it! Another one I’ll have to keep. Haha It is a pain to pull the rotor for timing. Pamco & Boyer not so bad. Pros and cons of everything. Again thanks for the step by step thread.

Is anyone running this with a digital tacho? They state it might not work. I just installed a Daytona velona speedo/tacho and I want to keep using that.

I don’t know. I not using a tach. My Vape has been a pain in the ass. It’s somehow out of time again. 12 kicks to start. Taper fit to the shaft. I’ve got some more troubleshooting to do

I installed a Vape on the Rd350 and so far great. I bought it from HVC cycle and they had an option to cut a keyway for a keyed shaft which made for an easy installation.

Last edited:
Back