Installing an o-ring chain master link

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Small vise grips are to wide to allow you to get the retaining clip on.
Regular needle nose or needle nose vice grips don't flush with the sides forcing the pliers off or the link out. My solution is an over size nut placed over one rivet pin and squeezed with a small c clamp. BUT the whole time I'm wishing someone made a channel lock style needle nose plier. I think such a tool could be really handy.
If anyone knows of such an animal please clue me in.

I do the same, with a nut to receive the master link pin and a small C-clamp to press the greased O-rings into place with the master link plate in place.

You can buy the special press made to do this, I have no trouble with the small C-clamp, and I'm a cheap ass bastard that's happy as hell that I didn't have to buy a special tool.

Scott

Last edited:
Last edited:
The old chain still had some.adjustment and no stiff links. But when this happens you bite the bullet and open the wallet.
IMG_20170806_143321_473.jpg

i personally just leave the o rings off the clip side..never had a problem simple to put on...but someone will tell you.why buy oring chain and leave the o ring out...its just 2 links..and never had odd wear @ those points

Besides a vise-grip and a pair of pliers, all you need is an ordinary hex. nut that'll slip over the link pin and act as a spacer
so you can squeeze the link's sideplates together. Squeeze one end then t'other a bit at a time until the horseshoe
clip grooves stick through enough that the horseshoe clip will go on.

It doesn't take much pressure to get those two outside O-rings pressed up onto the pins. They just have to be pressed with the right finesse to not distort or cut the O-rings.

I see the manufacturers point in warning not to use pliers or vice grips. That much pressure placed at strange angles is bound to bend or distort something.

Scott

Back