Installing LED Voltage meter in 77D?

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I got my Voltage meter today and installed. Ran the wire thru to the headlight bucket.
For those that have a 76/77 model year (5T I think u may have the Canadian electrical for this year)
I need to install power /positive on a switched wire preferably of the Ignition wires I guess. I have Mikesxs Ignition Switch
and it states that power is FED OUT from the 2 brown wires and 1 Red wire with yellow strip or tracer.
What would be the preferred wires to attach my red voltage meter wire to for the positive hookup or does it matter. PS:: Thx to all for the guidance on purchasing this LED,it fit perfect behind the red lense thats no longer used on my bike.Clear Epoxy worked great. Did not have to cut of file of the tabs on the ends of the Voltage meter, it fit perfect. I ended up with 4 additional meters as I had to buy 5 but it was only $13 Cdn shipped and had in 1 week, amazing as it stated it was coming from Asia. For those doing this must have mod I pulled the Gage cluster brake light bulb and housing out as its not used (I have an LED rear brake light bulb) and ran the wires thru there, was pretty strait forward. I really like the idea of knowing whats going on with the charging at a glance especially with this bike!

Pretty much any wire that goes hot with the switch will be fine.
Hint put one of those extra LEDs on a SAE (battery charger plug), set up another with alligator clips, they are the HANDIEST little checkers. motorcycles, lawn equipment, cars.
Then put one on the battery, compare it to the one up in the headlight, expect the one up front to read a volt or two lower in all conditions.

Since it's the brown wire that feeds the reg/rec... and I'm assuming you're doing this to monitor the charging system (?)... I'd tie it to the brown. But as Gary sez... any switched wire will work.

Thx Guys Brown it is!
Jim,FYI, checked with tracking #,still in Chicago. Guess US postal service lacking in efficiency lol!
Got my LED from Asia in a week. Crazy!

Pics, we need pics, lol. I'm thinking you didn't use the same sealed waterproof meter I did because I had to trim most of the mounting tabs off for it to fit.

5T I ordered the same unit u have but has not come in yet. I ordered the other style if u can find on a previous post someone recommended
so I went with that and it fit PERFECT!. It was a precision fit down the inside of the Gage housing. The tabs help to keep the meter
aligned side to side. The meter actually sits down inside against the red lense flush and the side tabs sit just above .I will take some pics after the final wiring to show everything .I added a blob of silicone to the wires inside the housing
also to help keep the wires from vibrating loose from the meter ,may not be needed but cant hurt.This meter looks fragile compared to the
unit u installed .Time will tell. The clear Epoxy I used worked great also.Meter when lite is very legible at least in garage.Once I get everything hooked up and can test in the daytime full sunlight we will see ,pun intended! Lol. Wont take long to remove the housing for final pics when finished.
Waiting for my new Rotor before getting it all together and workin.

Last edited:
DSCN9877.JPG DSCN9875.JPG
Hard to see the inside of gage housing with LED meter glued in place and
wires run thru were bulb was.Hope this helps someone

Back