Intake Manifold, again

mtbchickey

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey all, I'm new to this whole world and decided to get a 1973 xs650 to learn.
Bought it secondhand and it worked, then went camping for a weekend and came back to it not turning over.
Found that the previous owner absolutely cranked down the ties on the intake manifold hose and the rubber was torn, so I got a replacement. Quick swap and it still sounds like something is gulping air in and it won't turn over. It did randomly once and then killed itself after a few seconds, long enough for the smell of an overly lean mixture to fill the surrounding air.
From internet research I definitely feel like it's an intake leak.. but I can't properly diagnose or fix it because the thing won't even turn over, and help please? Thanks
I have a video also but I don't know how to upload it

Super easy dummy check list if bike doesn’t start.

Got gas? If your new to old bikes, often it can look like there is gas in the tank but it’s not enough to get into the petcock. I’m sure we’ve all done it at some point.

clean gas??

Clean plugs?

you might have to upload your vid to YouTube, then embed it here.

Super easy dummy check list if bike doesn’t start.

Got gas? If your new to old bikes, often it can look like there is gas in the tank but it’s not enough to get into the petcock. I’m sure we’ve all done it at some point.

clean gas??

Clean plugs?

you might have to upload your vid to YouTube, then embed it here.

Threw some more gas in should be at least half full still no dice. Should I mention if I dump the throttle or go on it a little it fixes the sound?

Clean gas yes

Have to pull them out tomorrow

Ignition isue, Sounds like it's not getting spark. Maybe dead battery, do you have a battery charger, hook it up for a bit and give her a kik. Is it stock ignition? Check fusees. If not stock what ignition are you using?

Don't go camping.
Remove the spark plugs, ground the base of the plug to the engine and kick it over. Are the plugs sparking ? Being in a dark area really helps with this. Are the plugs wet or
dry ? If wet, dry them, reinstall, turn off the gas, hold the carbs wide open, kick it over and maybe it'll pop. If the plugs are dry, put a thimble full of gas in the plug holes, reinstall, give it a little throttle and maybe it'll pop.
Keep us posted, we can help.

Don't go camping.
Remove the spark plugs, ground the base of the plug to the engine and kick it over. Are the plugs sparking ? Being in a dark area really helps with this. Are the plugs wet or
dry ? If wet, dry them, reinstall, turn off the gas, hold the carbs wide open, kick it over and maybe it'll pop. If the plugs are dry, put a thimble full of gas in the plug holes, reinstall, give it a little throttle and maybe it'll pop.
Keep us posted, we can help.

Plugs are very much alive, tried both no dice. Still same sound

all the online schematics I've seen say plug everything into the positive side of the battery, but this guy had it on negative and it did run before, not sure if that'll do anything

Do u have the choke on? Try holding the throttle open wide and give it a kik. Are plugs wet or dry after trying to start.

Maybe your tank is clogged.

pull your fuel line at the carb and turn the petcocks on. You got fuel coming out???

You can unscrew the big cap on the bottom of the carb and see if there is gas in the bowl.

check off all the easy stuff.

Air - fuel - spark.

If it indeed ran well last week it’s most likely a simple fix (famous last words haha)

Ya you can take the drain plug out on bottom of the carb.and check for fuel. Pull the fuel line after the filter and see if it's flowing. The float bowl is the bowl on carb bottom held on w a screw in each corner. Na you wouldn't have to re sync carbs at that point. Maybe once everything is sorted out and you went on a few rides or b4 if you want you can sync carbs especially if it's still rough after you sort this problem.

Tank had to be clogged. Drained it and put gas back in and vola. So she runs! Doesn't idle though now. Maybe sounds like air is sneaking in somewhere

Attachments

• 20200906_140953.jpg
    20200906_140953.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 201
  • 20200906_141039.jpg
    20200906_141039.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 20200906_141054.jpg
    20200906_141054.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 196
Well your dirty tank probably clogged your idle jets.

clean the carbs.

make sure the tank is clean as well as the petcock screens

install some fresh inline fuel filters.

So I think I've got it all cleaned out, and while I was going through the carb I found that the previous owner had the Jet needle (?) At the very top (explaining why it was running so lean) so I moved it to the 3rd (or middle). And I can use less throttle to keep it from stalling (it doesn't idle on it's own still). I've got the left carb at factory mixture (1.5 turn) and testing woth the right at 2 and 2.5. 2 seems to work the best, but I'm having issues with the throttle? It'll go.. but I need to hold the clutch to shift up because I cant make it go fast enough to shift ti the next gear.
So from 1/2 to fully open throttle it seems like no gas is given, but when I bring it back to 1/4 and everything catches up It'll pop and burst like it just burned all the extra gas... is that a clogged jet or more tunning the mixture?

Back