Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

It’s funny just how fickle we are isn’t it? We get something we really want…..and then we get bored with it. 😄
I can’t tell you how many bikes I have regretted selling, and yet I’m always looking, wanting a new experience.
Katie - CB550 Four-K - is not one of the bikes I regret selling. The engine was bland, no torque, to go fast you just revved and revved. It went faster but never felt like it hit its stride or came on the cam.

Mind you, did my first foreign holidays on that bike - France twice and Spain once. It was such a huge adventure taking the bike on the ferry - Plymouth to Roscoff, Plymouth to Santander. You were on your own, just you and the bike, no internet or mobile phones then. Mind you, I still don't have a mobile . . .

Katie - CB550 Four-K - is not one of the bikes I regret selling. The engine was bland, no torque, to go fast you just revved and revved. It went faster but never felt like it hit its stride or came on the cam.

Mind you, did my first foreign holidays on that bike - France twice and Spain once. It was such a huge adventure taking the bike on the ferry - Plymouth to Roscoff, Plymouth to Santander. You were on your own, just you and the bike, no internet or mobile phones then. Mind you, I still don't have a mobile . . .
Agree on the 550. Good, reliable, smooth and fairly economical. Kinda' like a disposable lighter, it does exactly what it's supposed to do, But grandfathers old Zippo had soul.

It’s funny just how fickle we are isn’t it? We get something we really want…..and then we get bored with it.
I can’t tell you how many bikes I have regretted selling, and yet I’m always looking, wanting a new experience.
Oh, so true! The only bike I regret selling is my '73 850 Roadster. A guy made me an offer I would have been a fool to refuse at the time. (1985)
Did daily it for two years though. Good bike, but quite needy. One up three down on the right was confusing at first. :laugh::laugh:
IMG_20160911_195202.jpg

Last edited:
What is it?

A Yankee? I seem to remember them from the 70’s. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one outside of a magazine.
It is a 500cc parallel twin 2 stroke Enduro. And..."I don't think I've ever seen one outside of a magazine" either. The picture shows a relatively un molested original. Friend (acquaintance from highschool days) owned one new back in the day. I hope I can toss some pictures to "Just Ride" if it doesn't take too much to run again. It has been dormant for at least 28 years.

The first prototype was built in 1968, but actual production didn’t start until 1971. John Taylor’s dream bike was designed to be fast and powerful and was built like a tank. And that was its demise. Everything about the Yankee was overbuilt; its dry weight was 344 pounds. It was too much bike for its intended market, and it was only a modest success. Over its two-year production run (1971–1972) only 764 bikes were built. John Taylor achieved his dream, but there weren’t many offroad riders who shared his vision.
Link.

That's a rare bike.

1660700251665.png

The first prototype was built in 1968, but actual production didn’t start until 1971. John Taylor’s dream bike was designed to be fast and powerful and was built like a tank. And that was its demise. Everything about the Yankee was overbuilt; its dry weight was 344 pounds. It was too much bike for its intended market, and it was only a modest success. Over its two-year production run (1971–1972) only 764 bikes were built. John Taylor achieved his dream, but there weren’t many offroad riders who shared his vision.
Link.

That's a rare bike.

View attachment 222120
Were the engines made in house?

Back