Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

What the cool guys rode in my neighborhood when I was a pup.

65596097.jpg

Ya know, for some perverted reason, I STILL would like to have a Sporty, even knowing it'd be a boat anchor compared to my FJ.

Childhood propaganda I guess.
If I had the $$$, space, and energy, I'd probably own 25 different bikes. They all serve a different need. For me, they need character seldom found in today's UJM, Universal Japanese Motorcycle.

If I had the $$$, space, and energy, I'd probably own 25 different bikes. They all serve a different need. For me, they need character seldom found in today's UJM, Universal Japanese Motorcycle.
I agree, but my space only allows for sixteen. :laugh2:

Ya know, for some perverted reason, I STILL would like to have a Sporty, even knowing it'd be a boat anchor compared to my FJ.

Me too! To me, when I hear the word “motorcycle”, the Sportster fits the image that comes to mind.

Just watched this interesting video about classic bikes. Although he doesn't mention our specific Yamaha XS650, he has some good advice for new owners of classic bikes, specially for those not so mechanically inclined. Its encouraging to see a young guy involved with old bikes!

Me to DE, so I bought one in 2008. It's a 2004, X-1200R. It was a great bike, the 1st of the rubber mounted engine. A friend (Sportster loyalist) said after I bought it that I got one that you can actually ride for hours. ;) Of course I do regret selling it now. :(
Sportster OCT2016 002.jpg

Me to DE, so I bought one in 2008. It's a 2004, X-1200R. It was a great bike, the 1st of the rubber mounted engine. A friend (Sportster loyalist) said after I bought it that I got one that you can actually ride for hours. ;) Of course I do regret selling it now. :(
View attachment 222475
I like the looks of that generation R model. Nice bike. I love my rigid mount Sportys but they WILL wear you out on a long ride.

Close enough to a Super Glide Yes. Step up from a Sporty, nah. No more than an apple is a step up from an orange.
In Harley marketing it IS a step up but I'm one of the " I never wanted a Harley but, I always wanted a Sportster." guys.
And that's a good looking bike!

Close enough to a Super Glide Yes. Step up from a Sporty, nah. No more than an apple is a step up from an orange.
In Harley marketing it IS a step up but I'm one of the " I never wanted a Harley but, I always wanted a Sportster." guys.
And that's a good looking bike!
I hear you. Comes down to the individual preferences I guess. I've owned and ridden both a lot. I happen to be in the category of those Dyna owners who never thought about or wished to going back to owning a Sporty. Met many previous sporty owners that upgraded to the Dyna, but rarely the opposite. My Sporty was fun, but doesn't hold a candle to the Dyna. My .02.

Back