Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

Yep @46th Georgia, it’s a sport car; they liked to be revved to the red line, and you don’t buy one for fuel economy. Horses for courses.
Agreed, but they were getting almost V-8 mileage and delivering 6 cylinder performance. The Datsun/Nissan Z's were a tick faster if memory serves me right.

Agreed, but they were getting almost V-8 mileage and delivering 6 cylinder performance. The Datsun/Nissan Z's were a tick faster if memory serves me right.
This was really about the Crighton bike
My lead in was a little misleading maybe?
I just love the rotary concept and that bike delivered in spades.

This was really about the Crighton bike
My lead in was a little misleading maybe?
I just love the rotary concept and that bike delivered in spades.
Oh, I too love the concept. What RX-7 race cars lacked in torque,they more than made up for in durability. They absolutely dominated the GTU class in IMSA for over a decade. As long as you had water, fuel and oil in them, you couldn't kill them.

1670344430714.png

Wow what a ride I would have to double or triple up on the old Depends (adult diapers) after that thing cut loose
I drive a hyrbrid now and to put a Wankel in there just to drive a generator sounds like a good idea to me
I would imagine it would be a lot like the huge heavy machinery out there with the ICU running the generator, powering the electrical drive motors
Probably like a locomotive

I drive a hyrbrid now and to put a Wankel in there just to drive a generator sounds like a good idea to me
One of the Wankel's achilles heal is it drinks like a G.I. on a 3 day pass.
Terrible gas mileage and excessive heat are the main reasons it hasn't gone mainstream.... and likely never will.
In other words... it'd make for a piss poor generator.

I guess if they have been working on it this long and it still has major issues, than it's not the greatest engine break thru that was being talked about when I was in high school

Terrible gas mileage and excessive heat are the main reasons it hasn't gone mainstream.... and likely never will.
Fair comments @Jim
However my RX 8 was a brilliant and an enjoyable ride.
The engine was tiny and produced decent power. I wasn’t running my house lights off it for sure; and yes it used a bit more fuel. But it was fun.
Early Yank V8 motors were 7 litres producing less than 200bhp, no generators either and shite MPG. Later USA V8’s were also poor performers compared to Euro V6 or V8 engines; no generators either....Just sayin’:shrug:
Anyhow it was about the bloody bike! 😂😇

I'll tell ya' this about the exhaust heat, when I corner marshalled at SCCA events and one of them had to pull off the track, if they stopped in the grass, roll the fire truck.

The problem is the Wankel's low compression ratio. The higher the CR, the higher the thermodynamic efficiency, with everything else being equal. That's why Diesel engines have much better fuel economy than any Otto (spark ignition) engine, DESPITE the fact that the pretty much instantaneous combustion in an Otto engine is more efficient than the slightly more drawn out combustion event in a Diesel engine (Isokor vs Isobar process)

Back