Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

Lol. Yea wealthy alright.

Big-buck race teams - back in the day - actually nickel plated the frames so that any flaws, cracks, could be seen before failure - not to look good. So, perhaps his thinking was misinformed.

An acquaintance spent alot of money having custom bikes built back in the day. We chatted over cocktails on numerous occasions about bikes and life in general. I asked about a bike featured in a well known 80s publication, could I acquire it? A Nickel plated frame ( maybe Honda XR 600 in a CR 250 frame with lights and license?). He was a member of the "Lucky Sperm Club, certified) and he responded, "I only trade my bikes in" to M/C dealers. They absorb the liability. I can't be exposed to a plating hiding a hidden rust fault in a frame joint 10 years later.
Anecdotally, my youngest brother, 15 years my junior is dating his daughter. Lucky guy.
I've known people like that, maybe a little paranoid, maybe not.

Big-buck race teams - back in the day - actually nickel plated the frames so that any flaws, cracks, could be seen before failure - not to look good. So, perhaps his thinking was misinformed.
From what I understand, in the N.H.R.A., the chassis of tube framed cars must be left bare for crack inspection.

That's a pretty stout plating if it'll

holdb up while the parent metal cracks underneath....
Stouter'n I ever run across.
I don't know the metallurgy. I know he was one of the sons paid to not "show up" to work and the Ducati dealership knew hin on a first name basis.

Jus' spitballin'.....
Sikorski helicopters I used to work on had the main rotor blades pressurized to about 10-20psi with nitrogen. Was a preflight inspection to check each gauge. Any gauge had low pressure meant no flying today.....
a crack let the pressure out.

001-15.jpg

Back