Interesting Posts Today

Agree, it seems Orwell didn't say those words...........Still truth in them
Ha! I remember thinking - back in the early WWW days, Compu-Serv, Prodigy, et al - "this is great; everyone worldwide will have access to information and share first-hand facts". Grassroots knowledge now has the power to overcome censorship, control and propaganda. Some dubbed it "The Information Age".

Boy was I wrong!

Ha! I remember thinking - back in the early WWW days, Compu-Serv, Prodigy, et al - "this is great; everyone worldwide will have access to information and share first-hand facts". Grassroots knowledge now has the power to overcome censorship, control and propaganda. Some dubbed it "The Information Age".

Boy was I wrong!
That was the great hope. But in fact, we have entered a new Dark Ages. The power of the new technology is used to disseminate lies & propaganda, undermine & challenge the truth, spread & strengthen intolerance, hide and distort the facts, spy on our communication, frighten us into self-censorship, make us pay for information and entertainment, bombard us all with advertisements for things we don't want and can't afford and promote a shallow culture of materialism and celebrity. I could go on . . .

That was the great hope. But in fact, we have entered a new Dark Ages. The power of the new technology is used to disseminate lies & propaganda, undermine & challenge the truth, spread & strengthen intolerance, hide and distort the facts, spy on our communication, frighten us into self-censorship, make us pay for information and entertainment, bombard us all with advertisements for things we don't want and can't afford and promote a shallow culture of materialism and celebrity. I could go on . . .
Well said Raymond.

1660534853070 d.jpg

As one who has tried to make sure all information posted by myself is correct, i stand corrected and have altered the original Meme from one of disinformation of the person who was to have said this quote to the original author

We are allowing algorithms to lead us around by our noses................

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...email_1632927&email_subject=trump-and-the-fbi

Besides, as the vilest Writer has his Readers, so the greatest Liar has his Believers;
and it often happens, that if a Lie be believ’d only for an Hour,
it has done its Work, and there is no farther occasion for it.

Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it;
so that when Men come to be undeceiv’d, it is too late;
the Jest is over, and the Tale has had its Effect…

Jonathan Swift, 1710

Falsehood will fly, as it were, on the wings of the wind,
and carry its tales to every corner of the earth;
whilst truth lags behind; her steps, though sure, are slow and solemn,

and she has neither vigour nor activity enough to pursue and overtake her enemy…

Thomas Franklin, 1787

Link.

We are allowing algorithms to lead us around by our noses................

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...email_1632927&email_subject=trump-and-the-fbi

As a follow up............it may not affect you right now but i bet there is someone you know who has, has used or is using online support groups to help them through sickness.

I have heard a lot of the members here express their rights and freedoms are paramount and rage against the machine, (gov't), Where is the real loss of freedom and rights

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexan...-to-facebook-for-advertising/?sh=1c82083d4848

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/im...rack-americans-foreigners-us-says-a-rcna38684

Last edited:
Besides, as the vilest Writer has his Readers, so the greatest Liar has his Believers;

Jonathan Swift, 1710

and she has neither vigour nor activity enough to pursue and overtake her enemy…

Thomas Franklin, 1787

Link.
"A lie will fly around the world before the truth has got its boots on" - Terry Pratchett.

Jonathan Swift, 1710

Thomas Franklin, 1787

Link.
As we know it to be apt hundreds of years – and infinite electrons – hence, it must be more a symptom of the wiring of humans than any wiring we created.:geek:

Back