Intermittent Electrical Problem 77XS650

Might be time to head back over to the feed store and show those rockin chair cowboys how well your bike starts now!
Hey by the way, got any close ups of your little voltmeter and how you’ve got it mounted? I like it.
Yeah, Bob, I do. Catch you in a bit. Have to pick up the ole lady from work...Someone has to, work. :wink2:

Ok, Bob.
I got the meter from Amazon, 10 to 12 bucks. Comes in red, blue, white and green. (white or green may have been easier to see in day light)

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Kinstecks-Motorcycle-Voltmeter-Monitor-Red/dp/B07TZCB7JV/ref=sr_1_35?crid=2CA18YZLPWKG0&dchild=1&keywords=voltmeter+digital&qid=1584850824&sprefix=volt+meter,aps,195&sr=8-35

It comes with a red pos and black neg wires in a nice long cable. I had to cut a foot off it. Wires are thin so I double them over and crimped then soldered them in a bullet connector and fitted a piece heat shrink over the crimped and soldered section. ( No shorts ) In the head light bucket the black plugged into an empty female on the black ground circuit. The red plugged into, really, any wire that gets hot when the Ign switch is turned on. For the mount, I went down to Wally in the bicycle section and got a bicycle front reflector. (Bike bars and XS bars are both 7/8) Reflector had a black plastic, one screw mount. It pops over the bars and tightens in place with the screw on the bottom. I pushed the plastic tab on the mount removing the reflector. I sanded the top flat and ShoeGooed a piece of hook Velcro to the top of the "decoder looking ring" mount - then gooed the smooth Velcro to the back of the volt meter. Pop on the ring, stick on the voltmeter, position it and tighten the screw. Plug in the wires in the HL bucket, test it and close up the HL bucket. Your done. Did the same on the CB750.
volt Mtr.jpg

The meter sticks off the mount ring a bit but it's good and solid and removable if need be. Works good for me. I may have put a piece of Velcro on the XS mount cap too.
Thu

Ok, Bob.
I got the meter from Amazon, 10 to 12 bucks. Comes in red, blue, white and green. (white or green may have been easier to see in day light)

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Kinstecks-Motorcycle-Voltmeter-Monitor-Red/dp/B07TZCB7JV/ref=sr_1_35?crid=2CA18YZLPWKG0&dchild=1&keywords=voltmeter+digital&qid=1584850824&sprefix=volt+meter,aps,195&sr=8-35

It comes with a red pos and black neg wires in a nice long cable. I had to cut a foot off it. Wires are thin so I double them over and crimped then soldered them in a bullet connector and fitted a piece heat shrink over the crimped and soldered section. ( No shorts ) In the head light bucket the black plugged into an empty female on the black ground circuit. The red plugged into, really, any wire that gets hot when the Ign switch is turned on. For the mount, I went down to Wally in the bicycle section and got a bicycle front reflector. (Bike bars and XS bars are both 7/8) Reflector had a black plastic, one screw mount. It pops over the bars and tightens in place with the screw on the bottom. I pushed the plastic tab on the mount removing the reflector. I sanded the top flat and ShoeGooed a piece of hook Velcro to the top of the "decoder looking ring" mount - then gooed the smooth Velcro to the back of the volt meter. Pop on the ring, stick on the voltmeter, position it and tighten the screw. Plug in the wires in the HL bucket, test it and close up the HL bucket. Your done. Did the same on the CB750.
View attachment 162465

The meter sticks off the mount ring a bit but it's good and solid and removable if need be. Works good for me. I may have put a piece of Velcro on the XS mount cap too.
Thu

Aaah Ha! I like it, it’s a clean little meter, and I was wandering how you managed that clean low profile mount.
Thanks for the link!

Ok, Bob.

View attachment 162465
Thu
That's the direction I need to head
It's nice to know output voltage

Back