Introducing myself, and thank you!

1980 Special Twin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
My first bike was a 1980 XS650 about 8 years ago. I took it on tour stock (I play violin in a punk/ metal/ classical appalachian style) around Asheville, New York and in between, and then bought a Honda Deauville (It's like the Pacific Coast in the USA) and toured all over Europe in this style.
I'm actually a violinist and music teacher. I don't have any mechanical expertise, I'm just a little reckless and have a DIY attitude. I converted an old Mercedes to run on vegetable oil one time, and did a pretty bad job of it. But when I started riding everyone told me that I would have to turn my own wrenches so I got comfortable with it.
My XS got dinged when a suburban driver pulled out in front of me and sent me skittering across the asphault. The bike and I were mostly fine (her SUV was totaled somehow) but the insurance money bought me a new bike an an excuse to customize the old one.
I started the build when the Covid lockdown started in 2020 and finished just in time for Glory Daze 2021. Do you know this motorcycle festival in Pittsburgh? There were a bunch of sweet XSs on display, but mine was just about the only one in the parking lot and got lots of attention. Truth be told it was running like crap, held together with wire and I had lowered the front so far that I couldn't trust the bike in a turn.
20210925_121552.jpg

But another couple weekends and it is now my runner/ ripper. Carbs aren't tuned right, some bolts need loctite, need to go 3 up on the jets instead of 2, haven't put on the sissy bar, needs some electrical upgrades, blah, blah, blah it runs so I'm running it!
I don't recall exactly where I got all my stuff, it's mostly pretty basic. I think the main customizations worthy of note are:
Ironhead King and Queen
handmade rear seat supports made from an old microphone stand
An art-deco faux rear fender made from the chainguard of an antique farm bike (The Monarch).
Rattle-can tank made using an improvised process that shockingly didn't end up looking like crap.
It's got the Pamco.
Deleted the starter because I was trying to salvage this other bike and it caught on fire. I don't like so many wires carrying so much voltage. The kick works ok, although it's cold now and I have to kick a lot more. Poor tuning is a factor. But also, are you all sure that the little freeze plug hammered into place with some loctite isn't going to fall out and dump 2.5 quarts of oil all over the place somewhere? I may consider re-installing.
I had hundreds of problems that I addressed during my build, and I didn't want to ask them here because i'm sure the answers already exist. For the most part I'm glad to have done my own troubleshooting. However, I did spend a solid 6 months of frustration "chasing an advance problem through the carbs." I wish I would have heard your wisdom sooner.
I also wish I wouldn't have installed that dang fork lowering kit. PITA to install, and another PITA to remove.
This is how it looks now
20211022_170643.jpg

Here it is in roadworthy condition.
I just hooked the lady up with a running '83 Virago. She's a BA.
Fathers, take this moment to spend a couple hours with your daughter tell her you're proud of her. You don't want her to end up dating someone like me lol.
Also, in addition to touring on a motorcycle I do industrial techno sets with audio samples and video from my motorcycles and motorcycle rides. It's called 1980 Special Twin!
Well now that I've introduced myself I'm probably going to start asking for some bike advice. Thanks again for sharing so much knowledge and encouragement!

Welcome! Start a thread for your bike and ask away! You're sure to find the answers you seek here. There's a wealth of knowledge on this forum having to with all things XS whether it be technical, electrical, or even chopper and fab stuff. We have XS riders of all flavors here. Love the Wassell Peanut, same tank I have on my chopper. Last two choppers actually.

How'd ya get the brakes, kicker, and primary moved to the left side of the bike?:lmao:

Last edited:
Ah yes, the coveted AHAMAY. I apologize for chopping such a rare gem.
Last week I dropped a few thousand on a new Yamaha piano. Not sure how many folks there are out there who dabble in both Yamaha pianos and Yamaha bikes.
No plans to chop the piano, however.
I believe the piano was Yamaha's first business.

upload_2021-10-27_13-45-35.jpeg
These are pretty cool too!

Ah yes, the coveted AHAMAY. I apologize for chopping such a rare gem.
Last week I dropped a few thousand on a new Yamaha piano. Not sure how many folks there are out there who dabble in both Yamaha pianos and Yamaha bikes.
No plans to chop the piano, however.
Not sure about pianos, but I like hanging around places where chopped Hammond B3's be.

Nah nah lads there is no kick starter on an Australian bike
If you try to have them put one there hell breaks loose.
( saving their life )

And Yamaha cant make instruments as far as I know
I once bought a electrical Guitar brand new OK we are talking $ 100 range post Christmas sale
but the sound was not good.
Traded it in for a Japanese Fender and got i believe $ 125 for it
Also tried a couple steel string acoustic Yamaha .. After that I don't look at them any more
Flat sounding Silent Awkward to play In my opinion Dont like them in the lower price range

Keep posting this will be interesting

Nah nah lads there is no kick starter on an Australian bike
If you try to have them put one there hell breaks loose.
( saving their life )

And Yamaha cant make instruments as far as I know
I once bought a electrical Guitar brand new OK we are talking $ 100 range post Christmas sale
but the sound was not good.
Traded it in for a Japanese Fender and got i believe $ 125 for it
Also tried a couple steel string acoustic Yamaha .. After that I don't look at them any more
Flat sounding Silent Awkward to play In my opinion Dont like them in the lower price range

Keep posting this will be interesting
:p $100 guitars sound like $100 guitars no matter what the Headstock says.

Japanese Fenders were some of the finest Guitars EVER made and command big money these days.:rock:

Ahamay made some really nice Guitars, but they cost the same as any other nice guitar.

The one guitar I regret selling was a Yammy.

Last edited:
I have a buddy who is has been struggling through an XS650 build at the same time as me. He's a "young" punk rocker too (if 60 is the new 30, I guess 30 is the new 15). His build didn't start with a solid runner like me, and he went in a little deeper with the mods (permanent magnet, battery delete, and some wires and tubes I don't even understand). For awhile we were both in "basket case" status but I think his will be a basket case until Spring or even later. His looks a lot like mine (we didn't plan it that way) except I know he's regretting the YaMama pipes. I might pop in to ask for advice on his behalf, or else I'll be sure to post rideout pictures when we get them!

I have a buddy who is has been struggling through an XS650 build at the same time as me.
Invite him over here. If he's not into this sort of thing the answers may already be here. If help is needed, there is always some expert XS650 mechanic on duty and ready to help.

Back