Introducing Yamaha’s entire 2022 cruiser lineup!

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
DEDC9D52-8F38-4A8D-B29C-158FC1B272C5.gif

Yup! Nada! Zip! Ziltch! The entire Star line of V Twins went the way of the Dodo.

They have that huge V Twin dresser Harley clone listed in its own category as a “trans Continental tourer”

The little pee wee v twin 250 and the 950 bolt spec are the only survivors and they are now classified as standards,
5A4D1FE7-5BC7-4629-955C-F681911FF7D8.jpegD8661849-1B15-4F33-BC7C-A34BBED5C7CB.jpeg

The V Max is gone again, the 950cc, 1300cc, and 1700cc feet forward cruisers are all history! Is this a sign of things to come from the other manufacturers? I’m frankly shocked,I’m thought the Harley clone segment was big business for the Japanese brands. Sport touring models and the mid and large size adventure bikes are really much more versatile. It’ll be interesting to see what the other brands do.

Last edited:
Ryan F9 had a video a while back talking about H D dying off 'cause the riders (buyers) of cruisers were... well... dying off.
I wonder if Yamaha has come to the same conclusion... cruisers are a dying breed?
Don't know the numbers, but I think H D's Pan America is doing pretty good.
New market direction?

Retro bikes seem to be popular. I think Yamaha is missing the boat not developing a new XS650. That would be a world market bike.
I think maybe going up against Royal Enfield and Triumph retro might be a tough nut to crack. I would have thought the CB1100 would do better than it did.

Retro bikes seem to be popular. I think Yamaha is missing the boat not developing a new XS650. That would be a world market bike.

I agree. Its difficult to understand.
Times are changing but the twin has been around a long time. Because it is a working concept. Yamaha has a reputation for the XS650
Should they come up with something of the same sort I can se people show in the sales room ..at least having a look.
If I remeber right they have triples that looked interesting and had a good price. But triples dont have the same reputation as the twin.
Maybe a 750 also. . Getting the quality and price right. I do believe the first choice is Japanese rather than Indian Manufacturer.

The thing with Yamaha is they became like triumph with their bug eye bikes, either you love them, or you hate them. I think the mt07, mt09, and mt10 are some of the best motors out there, but their looks just don't do it for me. Same with their modern retros. Other companies modern retros actually look for the most part retro, like you can see the retro styling cues. With the XSR lineup, to my eye, it's just a naked bike with round headlight. If they took one of their motors and redesigned a frame and body to look like a true retro like a triumph, well hell, that'd be I'd but tomorrow

The thing with Yamaha is they became like triumph with their bug eye bikes, either you love them, or you hate them. I think the mt07, mt09, and mt10 are some of the best motors out there, but their looks just don't do it for me. Same with their modern retros. Other companies modern retros actually look for the most part retro, like you can see the retro styling cues. With the XSR lineup, to my eye, it's just a naked bike with round headlight. If they took one of their motors and redesigned a frame and body to look like a true retro like a triumph, well hell, that'd be I'd but tomorrow

Of course Triumph and Royal Enfield have the retro look pretty much nailed down. I think Kawasaki is doing some interesting retros, the 650 and 900 are thoroughly modern bikes, and the limited production W800 really looks like something from the 60’s and 70’s.
AE5D1A21-F21B-468D-8947-26269206EFE3.jpeg32ED7631-DDC5-4631-93C8-1B21D917CEB5.jpeg
2D4B6B2E-65A0-4AA6-9778-E204EFED0A9B.jpeg4B7CD8BD-74F9-42F9-8AC8-CA1FAE264396.jpeg

I think maybe going up against Royal Enfield and Triumph retro might be a tough nut to crack. I would have thought the CB1100 would do better than it did.

I would’ve thought they would sell better too. I see them from time to time on Craigslist, but I don’t recall ever seeing one on the road.

Back