Is an XS750 worth messing with?

1974jh5

Curmudgeon.
Reaction score
I'm always trolling CL etc for XS650's and I run across the XS750 triples quite a bit, usually dirt cheap. I'm sure there is a reason! Are they even worth messing with?

Absolutely! They are a very nice bike; typical Yamaha...robust, gutsy although not quite as fast as the competition, decent handling and reliable.

They sound great! At least in stock form anyway. I once saw one parked on the street beside my 650 and the frame is noticeably bigger than the 650 when they're side by side. The guy came out and started it on one kick and it had a great roar to it. It seems like I've read a bad thing or two about them, but I can't remember what :confused:

Like many yamaha's of that era 2nd gear can be bad. They are shaft drive which limits your options. The engine is more sophisticated (harder to work on) compared to the fix with a rock and stick XS650. Other than that they are about the same as any other UJM of the 80's

The one I was speaking of above was the Special version. My roommate in school had a Standard, back in the days when it was new, and I didn't like the looks of his even then. But the Special looks pretty much like an xs650 special. I think it helps bike esthetics if they have some retro elements and the Standard didn't. Of couse now it does :):)

'77-'78 XS750 tanks look awesome on 650's

Attachments

• feature02.jpg
    feature02.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 586
Rebuilt the top end on a '76 I got for $150 that sat for 27 years, rode it 3years and sold it a few years ago. 76/77 MIK-I Carbs were a PIA but once set up along with 3 sets of points they worked fine. 78/79 had the newer MIK-II carbs and electronic ignition. Not much different than an XS650 other than an extra cylinder/carb, DOHC, you had to cut the cam chain to remove the head and A bit heavier at 570lbs. But as with the XJ650/750s & XS11's you could to a top end rebuild in the frame. I did end up converting it to electronic ignition from a 78 which made alot of difference in maintenance and setup.

I have this habit of thinking up kooky projects. I like the 3 cylinder DOHC 750 motor's narrowness and its looks but I'm not a big fan of shaft drive on a 'sporty' type bike, mostly because if I leaned my Seca 750 over into a turn and rolled on the throttle the pinion gear would try to 'climb' the ring gear, thus making the bike rise when it should settle. :yikes:

So I was wondering, sorta, if the shaft drive output could be removed from the cases, then either machine the output shaft or add an adapter to run a conventional sprocket, then stick that in an XS650 or similar chain drive frame. Yeah, I know, it's kooky. I think my momma dropped me on my head one too many times. :D

EDIT: The whole problem with Google and the internet in general is it's the biggest damn enabler out there.

http://www.xs-eifelrenner.de/Rennsport.htm

file.php

http://www.yamaha-triples.org/forum...start=1&highlight=chain+drive&highlightmode=1

xs11chaindrive005.jpg

This is for the XS1100 but he makes a 750/850 version too. I need to finish what I've already started, dammit. :mad:

Last edited:
Glad to see this thread! I have a 750 and have researched them a bit. Second gear is a common problem but can be shimed, the vacum petcocks can be trouble but can also be switched over. Mine has some carb trouble (floats sticking) I think, which I will get to this winter yamaha-triples.org is a good resource. But overall they are a fun bike.

Back