Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Hi Rustie,
I have a 17th edition of Machinery's Handbook that a co-worker gave me when I left the UK
and a 24th edition that left with me when I was laid off in Saskatoon.
A friend sent me a copy of a 1913 copyright Rogers Machinist's Guide.
Apart from the machine tools all having flat belt drives from line-shafts; the descriptions of the table of elements saying
"there's about 80 elements, some of which are metals and are useful" and the only people shown being white men
the actual machine tools shown in the book's illustrations wouldn't look out of place in a modern shop.
Fred, a lot of the actual machining info has been pretty much the same for 120years. But there are sections from the very early books on things like case hardening, cyanide bluing, forge welding, and the treatment and properties of wrought iron (not the stuff we call wrought iron today). This kind of info is only in the older books for various reason like toxic/harmful processes, outdated procedures, and unavailable materials. There’s also a lot of info on things like gas welding cast iron effectively etc.

My 14th edition (1950). Another good one is this Audels Machinest & Toolmakers handy book. It was Audels attemp to make their own Machinery’s Handbook, my copy is from 1939.
B9C39858-49F7-4A42-AF91-32C15BEB0B83.jpeg
E9226D36-DBB0-4FF0-B117-57D87118CB41.jpeg

I love that idea! Looks like there are endless plans available on the internet. I have always wanted a Sterling engine, too... :)
Yeah, they range from very simple and cheap to build to very complicated and expensive. Stuart has some really nice casting kits but they are pricey. Building a model fire tube boiler is a great exercise in capillary welding (aka soldering).

Does anyone have a suggestion for a "starter project" or two that would use the lathe and/or mill?

One of my first projects was this tool post...
100_0462.JPG

...made it from a kit I got from Metal Lathe Accessories
http://mlatoolbox.com/MLA-23.html

They've got quite a few cool kits for different stuff. Still got the plans if you want to source your own material, could make a copy for ya

One of my first projects was this tool post...
View attachment 200050

...made it from a kit I got from Metal Lathe Accessories
http://mlatoolbox.com/MLA-23.html

They've got quite a few cool kits for different stuff. Still got the plans if you want to source your own material, could make a copy for ya
That would be great, thanks! Also, I was looking over the site and found a kit for this little engine. Looks like I might have a couple of projects lined up!

Not sure if that link worked (on my phone..)
http://mlatoolbox.com/MLA-17.html

Hi Rhy650,
that's a model airplane Diesel engine.
Compression Ignition model airplane engines are far more popular in the UK than in North America where Glow-plug engines are the norm.
Mostly because of a UK/USA translation error. Model Diesel Fuel is equal parts Ether, Castor Oil and Kerosene.
(or 40% Ether, 30% 10W30 motor oil, 28% truck Diesel fuel & 2% Amyl Nitrate)
Alas that the UK calls kerosene paraffin and Ether, Castor Oil and the medicinal paraffin a North American would use don't hardly work at all.

Compression Ignition model airplane engines are far more popular in the UK than in North America where Glow-plug engines are the norm.
Mostly because of a UK/USA translation error. Model Diesel Fuel is equal parts Ether, Castor Oil and Kerosene.
Alas that the UK calls kerosene paraffin and Ether, Castor Oil and the medicinal paraffin a North American would use don't hardly work at all.
Thanks for telling me that! If I am understanding you correctly, I won't have easy access to fuel for this engine in the US? I fly R/C (mostly electric) but do have a few "nitro" planes. Would nitro fuel work? Not married to this engine, just looked like a nice little kit from a home/small business.

Hi Rhy650,
that's a model airplane Diesel engine.
However, the link refers to a kit made in the US for the US market and also mentions fuel concocting for the user.
Probably pretty safe to assume it's not going to result in hair tearing or seizures, either engine or owner.

Thanks for telling me that! If I am understanding you correctly, I won't have easy access to fuel for this engine in the US? I fly R/C (mostly electric) but do have a few "nitro" planes. Would nitro fuel work? Not married to this engine, just looked like a nice little kit from a home/small business.

Hi Rhy650,
I doubt that Glow-Plug fuel will work in a compression ignition engine.
The plain or the fancy fuel recipes I've posted will work.
Dunno if those fuels are available in North American model shops as a pre-mix these days but you can mix your own easily enough.
Note that "technical" ether burns the same as "anesthetic" ether at far less cost, Diesel fuel is available at most filling stations as is engine oil,
and Amyl nitrate? I dunno. It's been 50 years and in another country since I last bought any.

DE's treasure: :whistle:
Free - Vintage power hacksaw (Mount Desert)

00U0U_7bHDndDnnV1z_07K0ak_600x450.jpg

Craftsman (?)

Free to good home

Craftsman type ("Excel') powered horizontal metal hacksaw with stand.

1960s vintage, excellent restoration candidate.
He's gonna need a bigger shop!~ (don't we all?)

Back