Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

What do you make with it?
A little of this, a little of that. Right now I am building a little model steam engine, mostly cutting aluminum and some brass. Definitely not hogging off big pieces of steel.

I have also considered a little milling attachment for the South Bend, any feedback on that? Waste of money?

a little milling attachment for the South Bend, any feedback on that? Waste of money?

I have a southbend milling attachment. For a project like a model it can "do some things"... But overall they are awkward and small.
Drag that mill home!
I do not currently have a use for the SB milling attachment. Would be reasonable, check flea bay to get an idea of current pricing. Maybe might could deliver to the Ozarks rally!
pics if you're interested.

I have a southbend milling attachment. For a project like a model it can "do some things"... But overall they are awkward and small.
Drag that mill home!
I do not currently have a use for the SB milling attachment. Would be reasonable, check flea bay to get an idea of current pricing. Maybe might could deliver to the Ozarks rally!
pics if you're interested.
Think it could be adapted to an Atlas bed? :geek:
Hey.... a shitty mill is still better'n no mill.
Pics?

Think it could be adapted to an Atlas bed?

They sit on the carriage in place of the lantern post.
KIMG0874.JPG
:geek:

KIMG0872.JPG
KIMG0871.JPG

I made the big base adapter to fit on my Grizzly.
Cuz they are way up on the carriage stability is a fairly serious issue.

I used one or these vertical slides for years on my lathe, made plenty of stuff with it. If you have limited space (me) and limited funds they are a great addition to the lathe.
I've since bought a small mill.

Attachments

• Main (1).jpg
    Main (1).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Main.jpg
    Main.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 48
Now the issue is these wankers have no problem selling these cutters with a 22mm arbor (MT#3) but mine is
7/8" (22.2251mm from memory)
There are $100 MT3 x 22mm arbors on evil bay but none that will reach my overarm support.
Do I really want to search the world over for a Benchmaster arbor that I'll be irrevocably modifying to 22mm
Or do I wand to make one from scratch?
Grrr Argh

Not every nation is attuned to imperial measurement, very few in fact. Unfortunately the Chinese manufacturers are stuck in the middle: 7/8" and 22mm are one and the same to them, try buying anything like bars, clutch levers, switchgear and throttles and you'll find they are all to fit both 7/8" and 22mm. Quizzing them will not result in any intelligent answers.

Still confused.
You are saying the advertised 7/8" involute cutter is really 22mm? if so why not grind out the center to match your arbor?
:thumbsup: :umm:
I will post up a wanted in some tool groups but need to get the name right so's I don't end up a with a pile of useless stuff (so normal for me)

Last edited:
The search for the elusive 72052RS continues today. Preloading angular contact bearings will be easier than tapered roller bearings as The 101.212 doesn't have the threads or nut on the spindle that the 10100 does.
I don't see any spacer between the bearing and the spindle back gear although my assembly had a .040" washer between the gear and the bearing.
Does anyone know if there is a spacer or washer between the bearing and the spindle back gear ?
it was only as I was beating the spindle and bearings out of the headstock that I got the spindle to turn free. prior to the beatdown the spindle felt like a box-o-rocks .
Does anyone have the 101 metal lathe armature mica undercutter . M-6 511 , preferrably without my having to take out a mortgage? I'm thinking poor man's toolpost grinder .

The struggle is real :)

Back