Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Cleanin' and scrubbin' on the power hacksaw revealed a couple less than stellar repairs on the shoe of the moving vise jaw.
20220910_113352.jpg
Haven't flung any chips in a while so what better excuse to fire up the mill and get whittlin'....
20220910_200630.jpg20220911_165804.jpg20220913_210445.jpg
Not an exact replica but close enough for who it's for
20220922_183108.jpg20220922_183127.jpg

Cleanin' and scrubbin' on the power hacksaw revealed a couple less than stellar repairs on the shoe of the moving vise jaw.
View attachment 225879
Haven't flung any chips in a while so what better excuse to fire up the mill and get whittlin'....
View attachment 225880View attachment 225881View attachment 225882
Not an exact replica but close enough for who it's for
View attachment 225883View attachment 225884ho
Who are you kiddin'? That's an awesome replacement part, light years ahead of the original! Awesome, wish I had the shop capabilities to do that.

cartfront.jpg

cartrear.jpg

Got my Chinese casters from Amazon today, so finished building the cart for the bandsaw. Surprisingly, the caster set seems pretty decent quality. One pair of straight casters, one pair of locking swivel casters, 3" poly wheels, and mounting hardware all for less than $25.

I calculated things to put the table of the saw at about 40" which is a convenient working height for me. Cart top dimensions were planned to accommodate the gear box for the low speed drive arrangement.

Now that it's on it's own cart and I don't have to worry about lifting it any more, I can finish putting it back together.

Well, finally took plunge on this pair.

The price was too good to pass up (basically 2 for 1 deal) and came with some tooling/ extras.

I know they have their limits and would have liked to have gone bigger, but have limited shop size (12’ X 12’) and nearly maxed out electrical panel.

C9354144-D989-45FD-899C-B2110B251904.jpeg
9E4081AB-8EC2-41F3-96A4-6267AEA5DA3C.jpeg
2780EFF9-7A6E-4E84-ADEA-E24AD741D6FF.jpeg
B37C4FB8-4D75-48D1-BCB2-61D468D790F7.jpeg

CA5FA60C-5883-49EF-84C1-723762837D48.jpeg

Should be fun to learn on.

drive.jpg

Finished up the low speed drive. (Yes, I know, I need a shorter belt...it's what I had in my stash that was close enough for a test drive...) The combination gives me 36 +/- RPM at the lower wheel which translates to 150 FPM blade speed. That should work for most materials.

The home brew motor mount allows left/right adjustment for the belt tension between motor and gearbox, and forward/back adjustment for belt alignment if I need to move the gearbox. Same with the gearbox mount - left/right for pulley alignment, in/out for belt tension. It's just bolted to the original motor mount so I can return it to original condition in about 10 minutes.

I'll clean up the motor wiring and put a switch in the circuit. Got new tires coming from Amazon and a guy on one of the tractor forums I hang out on is sending me a 20 foot roll of metal cutting blade. Just need to find someone that and cut to length and weld 'em up.

View attachment 226748

Finished up the low speed drive. (Yes, I know, I need a shorter belt...it's what I had in my stash that was close enough for a test drive...) The combination gives me 36 +/- RPM at the lower wheel which translates to 150 FPM blade speed. That should work for most materials.

The home brew motor mount allows left/right adjustment for the belt tension between motor and gearbox, and forward/back adjustment for belt alignment if I need to move the gearbox. Same with the gearbox mount - left/right for pulley alignment, in/out for belt tension. It's just bolted to the original motor mount so I can return it to original condition in about 10 minutes.

I'll clean up the motor wiring and put a switch in the circuit. Got new tires coming from Amazon and a guy on one of the tractor forums I hang out on is sending me a 20 foot roll of metal cutting blade. Just need to find someone that and cut to length and weld 'em up.
what kind of angle drive is that?

Well, finally took plunge on this pair.

The price was too good to pass up (basically 2 for 1 deal) and came with some tooling/ extras.

I know they have their limits and would have liked to have gone bigger, but have limited shop size (12’ X 12’) and nearly maxed out electrical panel.

View attachment 226564View attachment 226565View attachment 226566View attachment 226567
View attachment 226568
Should be fun to learn on.
Nice. I’ve been looking for a small lathe for a couple of years. “Covid” inflated prices forced me to delay the purchase. In my local area, prices went up 50-75%. They‘re coming down now. Maybe I’ll find something this winter.

guide3.jpg

Finished up making the blade guides today. Started with a rough cast bar of bronze from McMaster, milled it 4 sides to clean it up and get it to size, then milled the slots for them to slide over the rails they mount on. Conveniently enough, the rails are .375 wide so a few passes with the appropriate end mill took care of that. Slots on both sizes both to allow the mounting screw to be flush and for them to be reversible.

guide4.jpg

Then I milled in the adjustment slots. They're .25 so again a standard mill got it done. I screwed up the spacing a little bit on one of them, got the slot too long, but they'll be fine for what they are.

guide5.jpg

Then it was just a question of cutting them off the bar on the table-mounted Porta-Band and screwing them onto the carriers.

Now all I gotta do is get some blade stock cut and welded.

Interesting, with all those moving parts keep your hands in your pockets and get rid of that long hair.
I always hated to work on boilers, so I let the other guys, scared the heck out of me when I was doing commercial HVAC.

It is cool.
When I was a teenager an old guy in town had Stieber's Machine Shop, the equipment ancient and overhead shaft driven. I believe he had a large 3 phase motor running the shafts when I knew him in the early 1970's
I had him do a few minor things for me but it used up a lot of teenager' patience to get him to do it.

There a couple of polishing shops with overhead shafts/belts driving the polishing spindles in the early 70's in Minneapolis. No OSHA back then or at least not to much enforcement.

Back