Is there a good video tutorial on truing a wheel?

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is a good vid on how to do this. I'm a visual learner and i can read stuff all day long and still do it wrong. I video might clear the haze.
I don't know how much a shop charges to do this and if it is something pretty easy i would like to save a few bucks.

I think it's pretty easy but I've done quite a few. I don't know of a video but I can provide a few pics if you'd like.

I just watched a vid from Oakys garage. Looks like it is fairly easy. Not to sure on the pitch thing. I wonder if you could use a guitar tuner to get the pitch correct?

I've found you can't really set the spoke tension by pitch, especially on a used rim. Yes, you want the spokes tight enough so they "ring" when tapped (as opposed to a dull thud indicating they're loose) but if you set them all to the same pitch, the wheel won't be true. Just make sure they all "ring" to some extent. You can tap them with the plastic handle of a screwdriver or "strum" them like a harp. When going around the wheel initially, I strum them. To zero in more precisely and hear the pitch better, I use the screwdriver handle.

I'm sure you've read some suggest you can true a wheel just mounted on the bike using a pointer made from a coat hanger. You could ride a Honda 90 around the world too. I don't recommend either, lol. A dedicated wheel stand is best. Expensive to buy but simple and cheap to make if you have access to a welder. I can provide you some simple plans if you like.

OK, I start by setting the stand up where I'm going to do the job and leveling the axle in the stand. The stand will remain where it is now for the entire job. If I move it to another location, I will need to re-check the axle level .....

full

Next, the wheel needs to be shimmed snug in the stand so it can't slide side to side. If it could, you might never get it trued .....

full

For true, I use a dial gauge and magnetic base holder. These are just HF items and the complete set-up can be had for less than $20 on sale. For the up and down run-out, I just use a pointer. The edge of the rim or the inner surface where the tire bead seats is usually too rough for a dial gauge .....

full

The spec for both true and run-out is 2mm. That's about .080". It's usually pretty easy to true a rim within .010". For the run-out, I just get it as close as my eyes staring at a pointer will allow. There will always be a spot on the rim where it's welded that will make the gauge jump .010"-.015". You pretty much just ignore that because there's not much you can do about it anyway .....

full

The procedure is pretty simple. You tighten spokes running to the left flange, loosen the ones next to them running to the right flange, to pull the rim left, do the opposite to pull it right. For the up-down run-out, tighten or loosen 4 to 6 spokes in a row opposite the high/low spot, do the opposite of that to the spokes at the high/low spot.

You will need to know your rim offset before you start. I measure and record that first before disassembling the old wheel. I use a straight edge and measure from the drum to rim edge or disc mount (disc if installed) to rim edge .....

full

On a newly laced rim, I start by snugging all the spokes equally. Then I find (or make by adjusting spokes) a spot on the rim that matches the offset. I zero the gauge there and work the rest of the rim to match that spot. I do the up-down run-out first before the true, keeping an eye on it for any major changes while I true.

Last edited:
Well no, you'll just need to do some math to figure things out. The rims, both front and rear, are centered over the spoke flanges. Notice I said "over the spoke flanges", not centered on the total hub width. On the front disc hub, it does end up centered on the total hub width, but not on the rear. On the rear, the sprocket side sticks out more from the flanges than the brake side does, obviously to give the chain clearance to the tire.

I have a list of most of the stock rim offsets. What rims and hubs are you using?

Well i did change out my rear 18 inch rim to a wider 16 xs650 rim inch and my front 19 inch to a 21 inch suzuki ds rim. Didn't measure offset on either so what am i measuring? The hubs are stock 73 tx650's.

Well no, you'll just need to do some math to figure things out. The rims, both front and rear, are centered over the spoke flanges. Notice I said "over the spoke flanges", not centered on the total hub width. On the front disc hub, it does end up centered on the total hub width, but not on the rear. On the rear, the sprocket side sticks out more from the flanges than the brake side does, obviously to give the chain clearance to the tire.

I have a list of most of the stock rim offsets. What rims and hubs are you using?

I'm using a front hub with Omars kit for the rear, do i have to be offset as well?

Pete, don't mean to be rude but your hijacking my thread. You should post your own thread about omars kit or wait till I get an answer first, don't you think?

OK, I'll explain using the rear wheel as an example, but the routine will apply to the front as well. Start by measuring from a straight edge laid across the brake drum down to the outermost point on the outside of the spoke flange .....

full

On most 650 rear hubs, that's about 10mm. Now measure the width between the spoke flanges outside to outside (from those outermost points again). That's usually about 53mm on most 650 rear hubs. Divide that in half and add the 1st measurement to it. This will give you the distance from the straight edge to the center between the spoke flanges. Since the rim is centered over the flanges, this will be the center of the rim also. Now measure the width of your rim at it's widest part. On alloy rims that's usually the outermost edge because most of them flare out there. On a steel rim, it may be in a quarter inch or so from the edge because many of them roll their outer edge in to form a bead for the tire to grip. Divide your rim width in half and compare it to the straight edge to spoke flange center measurement to determine your offset. You do the front the same way except you lay your straight edge across the disc mount.

I'll give you an example using the rear. From the stock hub measurements we get half of 53mm added to the 10mm between straight edge and spoke flange. That would be 26.5 + 10 = 36.5mm to the center between the flanges. Now say your rim measures 70mm wide. Half of that would be 35. 36.5 - 35 = 1.5mm. The side of that rim would be offset 1.5mm down from the straight edge held across the brake drum. Now, sometimes the rim is wider which is probably what you're going to encounter with that 16" rim. Let's say it's 80mm, half would be 40. You still do the subtraction : 40 - 36.5 = 3.5mm, but now the straight edge is going to sit on the rim and you'll be measuring down to the brake drum.

Last edited:
I don't have a clue about the Omar's kit. What you're going to have to do I think is work the measurements off the sprocket side of the wheel, off the sprocket itself, as that is the only thing the Omar's kit and stock rear hub have in common. For what they charge for one of those things, I would think they figured that out for you and made the spacers the proper size so the rim ends up centered in the swingarm and aligned with the front wheel.

I don't have a clue about the Omar's kit. What you're going to have to do I think is work the measurements off the sprocket side of the wheel, off the sprocket itself, as that is the only thing the Omar's kit and stock rear hub have in common. For what they charge for one of those things, I would think they figured that out for you and made the spacers the proper size so the rim ends up centered in the swingarm and aligned with the front wheel.

Thank you.:thumbsup:

I wouldn't sweat too much if you didn't pay attention to offset. Are you really going to see a performance difference from +/- 1mm of wheel position over the 1400mm run of the wheelbase? A lot of other things would need to be perfectly straight and made to high tolerance before you could reasonably expect that simply centering the rim over the spoke flanges would also make it perfectly aligned with the front wheel. I'm never that lucky.

Back