Is this Bike Worth the asking Price, Opinions

Dont know US Conditions --but here you pay more for a bike bought at a dealer or Professional seller
Than if you buy private.
Some give a guarantee ..which can help.
Senior customer rarely drive like a 18 years old with these type Motorcycles.

I noticed the price came down $ 300 which in itself I would be Suspicious about. But the Business side is not my strong side.
I feel one or two hundreds up or down here or there is not much to loose a deal on if it is the right bike.
Sometimes you have to go for it.
As Gary mentioned it is a Down payment Chasing parts with freight Cash quickly goes away. If it is the wrong starting point.
Can even end up in a box as parts. Worst case.

More parts here are discussed. if it is mint stock Exhausts in there Wooooww it is different story Especially if the plan is going back to stock Can be worth 1/2 - 3/4 of the price asked.
Perhaps you can get a week or 2 Guarantee. Even experts dont always know everything about the bike.

The charging is expensive should it need repair. . Did you test it with lights on ?
do you find the prices here in US cheaper than in Sweden ? When I first started to look for an XS about 4-5 years ago I looked in Denmark (where I'm from originally) but i didn't find much for sale either there or here at that time. Now that I've found this group I see a lot more than ever before. Also think I saved a bit buying here rather than in DK where most i now see for sale are selling in the high 4K to low 5K dollar range - and they are not necessarily pristine! In DK i found this dealer Ringsted Motor ttps://www.ringsted-motor.com that seem to be well connected and knowledgeable - case you are close to copenhagen and ever need a part :)

Perhaps off topic but some comments
Yes prices are lower in the US

I have been into the last Owner segment all my Life.
Historically a runner ..with a MOT never went under $ 1000 $ 1200 no matter mileage no matter how it looked
I have bought 2 1980
First I gave $ 800 many years ago 84 -85 -- for it was crashed on the left side No charging crank twisted
Second I gave $1300 for no charging again ca 15 years ago.
Both of then low mileage.

It is rare to find these as Barn finds if ever I know of one with a crashed gear box in need of work The owner payed $ 800 for it '
He would be asking the same if he is selling it.
Or more .

I have not looked recently but the Rock bottom $ 1000 $ 1200 today is more like $ 1500
If it is a no runner things can be cheaper.
An estate sold a Virago 1100 with 40 k miles or so ..Being parked for $800 ..I Would have payed more

Denmark is known for being expensive Tax perhaps
And Germany is climbing as do UK as it seems

website Cheapest Now 2600 Euro -- Bikes used to be imported from Germany to Sweden the Virago Above.

https://www.mobile.de/?lang=en

The actual selling price can be lower. than the price on the site.

I used to buy second hand parts on e-bay from Germany .cheap but more expensive now.

A running, riding, starting and stopping motorcycle for $1500. You decide. I didn't see what model year that is. The charging could be as simple as adjusting the regulator.

Last edited:
That bike is a endless money pit.:yikes: $600 bike for parts or restoration only. For what he`s asking a few hundred dollars more will get you a much nicer bike.:twocents:

I paid $1500 for a 76 that started and ran, came with a spare motor and turned out to have a broken 1st gear and a missing spacer collar in the starter drive. I put a lot of work into it and she will go on her shakedown cruise as soon as we get a 60+ degree day. I also have an 80 that I've been riding for a couple of years and a 78 that's been neglected, that I got for $500 and will go on the lift as soon as the 76's kinks are worked out. Get the parts "If he can find them" before you buy it. You said he has another XS650 also, see if you can pry that from him cheap if it's just a parts bike. I say go for it.

:agree:
What Gary sez. I restored an '80 Special. Took close to 2 yrs mainly 'cause of parts and money. One of my big regrets is I didn't (also) buy a runner to ride during that time. If I had a do over, I'd get sumpin' ridable at the same time I was restoring.
Here's a little inspiration for ya on how a restored "Special" can turn out.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/jims-1980-sg-miss-september.50545/

1675703651244.png

Not wanting to shift while not moving is normal.
Some gas leaking out of carbs while on the side stand is pretty normal too.
It should be seeing 14 plus volts. You understand buying any old bike, no matter WHAT the seller claims is just the downpayment?

” it should be seeing 14 lbs volts” is not necessarily true. Most standard cars and bikes aren’t “ 12 volt systems” they are 14 volt systems with a 12 volt battery , which relies on something greater than 12 volts to recharge. “ THE” target voltage output is 13.8 volts…. So “ slightly under 14v” is 1) indicating a charge, 2) enough to recharge a battery.

Back