Its alive

cra-z1

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
After a few bugs with the carbs I got the first ride on the Rd. When I first took it out I had the petcock in the wrong position. I had a small amount of gas and started it in the on position and when I took it around the block I decided to put it on reserve which was actually off, ran out of gas halfway up the hill and had to push it back home. Once I figured out the correct position got it started. Pulled it out of the drive and it ran but not quite right, once it hit 4-5 grand I thought it was going to do a wheelie. Found the left cylinder was warm and the right hot. Spark yes, compression 125 both cylinders, fuel height adjusted. I knew it was not getting any gas on low speed jet for the left because the fuel height was very close. After all those checks I took a very good look at the carb body and found a drilled passage that should have been blocked with a brass ball open. Low speed was just sucking air until it built enough vacuum to pull in some gas which scared me a bit when it did that at 5,000 rpm. Took an old carb and pulled a brass ball from one of the passages and plugged the opening on the RD. Bingo runs good. Now I need to get plates. Now I can finish the Z1900 and the CB550 I started last fall. Just got all my cylinders and heads back for those.
rd350 copy.jpg

Congratulations on another meticulous restoration!
Wow how did I miss seeing this when it was originally posted? What a beautiful pair of bikes! I’d love to have both of them! Your little red ‘73 RD350 is a dead ringer for the very first vehicle I ever bought after getting my driver’s license. I was 16 years old and bought it used at the end of 1973, I think I payed about $400 for it. :D My parents hated it!
Boy was that a fun bike for a 16 year old kid!

After a few bugs with the carbs I got the first ride on the Rd. When I first took it out I had the petcock in the wrong position. I had a small amount of gas and started it in the on position and when I took it around the block I decided to put it on reserve which was actually off, ran out of gas halfway up the hill and had to push it back home. Once I figured out the correct position got it started. Pulled it out of the drive and it ran but not quite right, once it hit 4-5 grand I thought it was going to do a wheelie. Found the left cylinder was warm and the right hot. Spark yes, compression 125 both cylinders, fuel height adjusted. I knew it was not getting any gas on low speed jet for the left because the fuel height was very close. After all those checks I took a very good look at the carb body and found a drilled passage that should have been blocked with a brass ball open. Low speed was just sucking air until it built enough vacuum to pull in some gas which scared me a bit when it did that at 5,000 rpm. Took an old carb and pulled a brass ball from one of the passages and plugged the opening on the RD. Bingo runs good. Now I need to get plates. Now I can finish the Z1900 and the CB550 I started last fall. Just got all my cylinders and heads back for those.View attachment 194573
Great looking bike. Been looking for one locally for the last couple of years. Congrats on getting it running well!

Back