It's been a while

xshead

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not been on here since I sold my last XS. It had the whirring sound and instead of figuring out and repairing, I just sold it cheap.

So fast forward to today, I just picked up this '79 special a few days ago. Non runner and in fair shape. I took it to my shop and made the mad dash to get it in running condition.
So far I went through the carbs (really decent condition for a bike that had been sitting in the guys garage for 20 years)! I used my (what I call a fuel IV) and it started pretty easily with the exception of the grinding loose clip starter issue.
I have recently replaced the float needles and seats, replaced the bleed type pilot in the RH carb with the correct non bleed type and got both the front and rear brakes working properly with new caliper rebuild kits. oh, and fixed the grinding/slipping starter gear noise.
It will need the gas tank cleaned out and tires for sure in addition to a thorough cleaning .
xs650.jpg
xs650.jpg

The back story was that the PO bought this 20 years ago and his then young wife said either the bike or her, so he never rode it and it sat for 20 years. He is since divorced, go figure.

The very best part though is it runs and sounds good. No unusual noises.

So after getting the bike running a bit better, it would smoke when revving up and the RH cylinder had a slight backfire (popping). I actually thought it would need valve guides or a top end rebuild. Then I found that the carbs were missing the lower angle bracket to keep them racked. I fabricated one out of angle iron and now it's running perfectly.

I tried to take a short test ride(ran great) until the shifter jammed up. Took the side cover off and found that retainer that holds the split washers was wedged in the shift linkage. I had repaired the starter grinding issue but I guess I should have used a new circlip upon reassembly of the starter gear. The crazy thing is, it would start fine with the missing circlip, retaining clip and washers!

I now am working through a non charging issue. New battery but voltage not increasing when revved.

Last edited:
The back story was that the PO bought this 20 years ago and his then young wife said either the bike or her, so he never rode it and it sat for 20 years. He is since divorced, go figure.
"There's the door, honey. Mind your ass on the way out."

Back