It's ready

Yamaha Graveyard

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I want to thank everyone that helped with Information , parts and guidance. You know who you are:) The mission was to go through a 40 year old bike and do neglected maintenance. Wheel bearings, steering head, chain, sprockets, carbs, filters, valves, cam chain adj., get the seating, suspension, brakes, and electrical mechanically sound basically touch every bolt and system on it so I could ride it this season and work the bugs out. We have arrived at that moment. Yee Haw! I'm not a fan of red but it's what I had to work with, a lot of the bike was blacked out "rattle canned" by the PO as well as the paint. So the shark or P-40 graphics kind of flows with the Rat Bike image LOL! It makes me smile when I look at it. I have managed to put about 100 miles on it and had a couple issues. Those are sorted now and a soon as it stops snowing we shall try again. The plan for next winter is complete disassembly, modernize the electrical and paint. Right now I'm thinking candy apple blue with a silver frame. Here's a couple of before pics and some I took today. As soon as my hose thaws I'm going to give it a bath and wax.

Attachments

• xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 177
  • thumbnailxs6.jpg
    thumbnailxs6.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 650 complete.jpg
    650 complete.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 650 complete3.jpg
    650 complete3.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 650 complete2.jpg
    650 complete2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 169
So I want to thank everyone that helped with Information , parts and guidance. You know who you are:) The mission was to go through a 40 year old bike and do neglected maintenance. Wheel bearings, steering head, chain, sprockets, carbs, filters, valves, cam chain adj., get the seating, suspension, brakes, and electrical mechanically sound basically touch every bolt and system on it so I could ride it this season and work the bugs out. We have arrived at that moment. Yee Haw! I'm not a fan of red but it's what I had to work with, a lot of the bike was blacked out "rattle canned" by the PO as well as the paint. So the shark or P-40 graphics kind of flows with the Rat Bike image LOL! It makes me smile when I look at it. I have managed to put about 100 miles on it and had a couple issues. Those are sorted now and a soon as it stops snowing we shall try again. The plan for next winter is complete disassembly, modernize the electrical and paint. Right now I'm thinking candy apple blue with a silver frame. Here's a couple of before pics and some I took today. As soon as my hose thaws I'm going to give it a bath and wax.
Good Job!!!

Well, I know we all have preferences, but that first picture stole my heart. That is a beautiful job, and I love the mirrors, pillion, and paint.
'TT'

The braided stainless brake lines are pretty stiff so there's no need to lash it to the fork leg like you've done. In fact, you don't need that original guide that bolts to the fender mount either. I've run both of mine without that stuff for years .....

83Gaiters.jpg

ATK Fork Brace2.jpg

The braided stainless brake lines are pretty stiff so there's no need to lash it to the fork leg like you've done. In fact, you don't need that original guide that bolts to the fender mount either. I've run both of mine without that stuff for years .....

View attachment 210594

View attachment 210595
Nice! I was concerned it might flap around and beat the hell out of the paint. If the pictures were better you would see I have everything lashed down until I figure out what vibrates loose.

The only thing I have on mine is a guide fitted to the front of the lower triple tree where the splitter block on the original two line set-up used to be .....

BrakeLineFront.jpg

Brake Line Guide.jpg

LineGuide.jpg

LineGuide2.jpg

It was 40 and sunny at 5 o'clock today so i pulled her out and took a ride. She liked the cold dense air, no clutch slippage, and the new master cylinder and stainless lines really improved braking. Here's a couple of pics in the sunshine☀️

Attachments

• left (2).jpg
    left (2).jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 116
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 107
These bikes tend to shake and vibrate a bit, lol, so if you want your plate to still be there in a few months, best you make up a backer plate for it. I use aluminum plate with a sheet of rubber between it and the license plate, and 4 bolt the plate to it .....

Plate Mount.jpg

Plate Mount3.JPG

Plate Mount4.JPG

These bikes tend to shake and vibrate a bit, lol, so if you want your plate to still be there in a few months, best you make up a backer plate for it. I use aluminum plate with a sheet of rubber between it and the license plate, and 4 bolt the plate to it .....

View attachment 210714

View attachment 210715

View attachment 210716
5Twins when I saw this I thought that's some overkill but maybe it helps with wheelies LOL! However You know I have put about 300 miles on mine when I walked past it tonight my pants brushed the the plate and the unbolted section fell on the floor. Tomorrow I will be looking in the barn for some flat aluminum stock.........😳

Back