It's time to start a winter Project. The Red Bike

I'm hoping the brain trust has an answer for me. What is this located on the left side of the coil? Rectangular box with wires.
112.jpg

You don't need the signal cancel unit. When I rewired my XS that was one of a number of unneeded components I removed and getting rid of it must've saved about half-a-mile of wiring. Your turn signals only need feed from fuse box to turn switch then to left/right signal lights then earth. The cancel unit consults the speedo, the tacho, the coils, the horn and the neutral switch to collect general consensus on whether the signal should be cancelled. Without it, the rider needs to make up his or her own mind.

I might have made up some of that . . .

I like the self cancelling feature ..... when it works, lol. Unfortunately, it's operation is very erratic. Sometimes it works just fine and as intended, other times not at all. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it operates correctly and when it decides not to, so it's a bit hard to track down a possible issue with it. I have two 650s and both do this. I've just trained myself to watch the turn signal indicator on the dash and manually turn them off if they don't do so on their own.

I like the self cancelling feature ..... when it works, lol. Unfortunately, it's operation is very erratic. Sometimes it works just fine and as intended, other times not at all. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it operates correctly and when it decides not to, so it's a bit hard to track down a possible issue with it. I have two 650s and both do this. I've just trained myself to watch the turn signal indicator on the dash and manually turn them off if they don't do so on their own.
I believe that intermittent problem is the sensor in the speedometer. Of course, I can't prove it. :unsure:
My original to me XS650 functions as advertised. It always has.

I believe that intermittent problem is the sensor in the speedometer. Of course, I can't prove it. :unsure:
My original to me XS650 functions as advertised. It always has.
Agree. If the reed switch has some corrosion on the contacts, it would explain the "sometimes" nature of it.

I really love these derails as we all learn so much. Now I have to look at my harness when I reassemble it in 4 or 6 years...

If it's an open reed switch, it might be possible to replace it with a sealed one, which will last a long time.
They're sealed. The one in my XS11 is intermittent. I have several old clocks. It's just that replacing it sometimes seems more trouble than it's worth. Especially after I just did it and made it worse.

So my Texavina seat arrived ahead of schedule. My study (casual) of the Tech section frame dimensions suggest that a standard seat should fit a special frame. It should be "get the offending tabs out of the way and figure a mounting scheme. We'll I couldn't find the safety guard for my 4" grinder and didn't want to use a cutting disc without that guard so off to HF and get a proper tool for $20.
16701909824302658452008535850108.jpg
Then I checked where there was interference.
20221204_131006.jpg
...and
20221204_131038.jpg
...cut off the offending tabs.. The plan is a stock rear fender and some form of signals in the
20221204_154327.jpg
stock mounts so with tabs gone I get a seat position about what I hoped for.

That seat looks good. I just want to mention - I think those small K&N type filters you have on there are too small. I think the usual K&N for the VMs is the RU-0600, but don't quote me on that. Maybe someone with them will chime in with the part number. Or you could go with UNIs for about half the cost.

https://www.knfilters.com/ru-0600-u...MI8KKY8KDj-wIVBojICh2BmwFUEAQYASABEgLjAvD_BwE
Thanks for the "heads up". I don't remember there being a logo on them, they may be generic. I believe they were part of a "VM for XS650 kit" the PO purchased, installed and didn't tune or know that tuning was needed. I changed jets and adjustments to get it running nice in the garage. I have to richen up jetting 2 or 3 steps before I fire it up with new chrome pipes to avoid blueing. I did not ride this bike before I bought it. Tires were checked horribly, no front brake. I probably over paid a little but there was much to reccomend it is my Amatuer eye.

Last edited:
Proof of concept today. I plan on fitting standard sidecovers to this 81 Special. For the bottom mount I could get latches for a standard and rework the frame mounts. But I thought maybe I could duplicate the Special system. Once I have a bottom mount I can index the cover to develop the top mount tabs. The Special cover has a knob approximately 0.400 that inserts into a rubber grommet. I took a 1/4-20 bolt, added blue loctite and ran a nut snug to the bolt heat. Then I chucked in a drill and used a bench grinder to form a contour. I will check fender washers and fit tomorrow.
16707174211787965966483530134903.jpg

Back