It's time to start a winter Project. The Red Bike

I stopped in at @retrospeed today. My rim is trued to 0.010 ish so time to mount the tire. My tire spoons are 40 years old, my skills 30 and the rim is unmarred brand new. You do the math. Last shop that mounted tire for me did not pay attention to the yellow/green circle on the sidewall leaving several balancing weight to even thing up.
I think RetroSpeed might do the job right.
https://retrospeed.net/gallery/

RetroSpeed seems to be an incredible place. I wish the front office had windows into the magic that happens in the shop. I recieved a call late today that my tire was mounted and balanced. Should I ask for a tour when I pick up my rim?
I got a serious tour a Traxxion Dynamics when I picked up my stuff. It was a strong enhancement to the customer experience.

Part of this project is to regain a "Standard" look. To that end old sidecovers will be mounted. @halfmile, the Racecar guy @NashGT1 , @jpdevol and others need look elsewhere, this is down and dirty garage work not the artwork each of you and others have shared.
These sidecovers do have a different mounting scheme. I have had a new granddaughter, holidays, family visits to delay progress. First up was obtaining metal for the mount, and figuring out what I needed. After playing around and realizing 1/8 inch is overkill and tough to massage into shape I cut faces off 1 square tube from the Tru Value.
20230103_142558.jpg
Then I used the frame as an anvil to get the radius right.
20230103_154000.jpg
Now I fitted the side covers on the bottom mount and measured and formed the upper hangers.
20230105_172843.jpg
When I snap the sidecover in it looks like this.
16729645829468135214458104858205.jpg
There is room for Uni pods. The mounts will be fastened with JB Weld and the good radius should offer plenty of surface area. A standard style seat will top this off. Once I get good sidecover fit I can send all the tins to the painter.

Last edited:
Originally, the hanger tabs were covered with a nice rubber "bumper". This one was from Mikes, and it split (too) quickly .....

Uni Pod.jpg

So, if you plan on using them, the tabs will need to be narrower than the slot in the cover. I can measure the ones on my Standard if you like.

FrontSidecoverRubber.jpg

FrontSidecoverRubber2.jpg

Awesome! The method may be a bit different, but the results appear "factory" - well done sir.

PS: some rubber ends and most wouldn't know from factory and leave the experts scratching their heads (always a fun goal);)

Awesome! The method may be a bit different, but the results appear "factory" - well done sir.

PS: some rubber ends and most wouldn't know from factory and leave the experts scratching their heads (always a fun goal);)
Thanks. My mounts are not full width. I have acquired :)rolleyes:) bicycle innertube sections to cut and glue to offer some isolation. Once painted and covered with a Texvinna seat the pieces should be invisible and if not, certainly overshadowed and obscured by a new'72 Candy Apple Red paint on tank, covers, fenders and headlight shell. This is all about being a 60s early 70s example of a motorcycle. If it come out nice, maybe a 750 BBK next winter.

Thanks. My mounts are not full width. I have acquired :)rolleyes:) bicycle innertube sections to cut and glue to offer some isolation. Once painted and covered with a Texvinna seat the pieces should be invisible and if not, certainly overshadowed and obscured by a new'72 Candy Apple Red paint on tank, covers, fenders and headlight shell. This is all about being a 60s early 70s example of a motorcycle. If it come out nice, maybe a 750 BBK next winter.
Candy Apple Red? Jim, call your office

I have done lots of welding. I may be a little rusty now. I can borrow or buy equipment but the JB weld seems to me to be a reasonable alternative. Worst that can happen is it fails. When those hacked brackets are painted black and hidden under the seat they will be (should be) all but unnoticeable.

I have done lots of welding. I may be a little rusty now. I can borrow or buy equipment but the JB weld seems to me to be a reasonable alternative. Worst that can happen is it fails. When those hacked brackets are painted black and hidden under the seat they will be (should be) all but unnoticeable.
If I might suggest, use a couple of steel 1/8 countersunk rivets along with the JB Weld. I'd hate to see those covers go tumbling down the highway.

If I might suggest, use a couple of steel 1/8 countersunk rivets along with the JB Weld. I'd hate to see those covers go tumbling down the highway.
Even that may not be enough. Although I think you've come up with good, well thought out setup, I don't think it's gonna handle the vibes. If it were any other application, I'd say you killed it. Not for our bikes though.
Here's one of my frames... an '80 Special I think... someone did what you're doing. JB Weld and two pop rivets per. They didn't hold... 3 of the 4 anyway. I'm guessin' it was the vibes what done 'em in.

I don't know how well these were done... and I think your setup would definitely be stronger than these were... still, I think the vibes will do 'em in.
Welding would be less chancy.... :whistle:

1672973221757.png

1672973262604.png

1672973295184.png

Back