It's time to start a winter Project. The Red Bike

Kevin Werner

Amatuer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Found a nice 81 Special 2. PO did some nice things with a very original 17k miles bike. I will have to resolve an oil puddle, jetting, frontbrake after doing a few basic tasks. Valves, time chain and timing once the carb (brand new VMs) are jetted well enough to run with out the enricher.
16601540535256189282802607517900.jpg

Last edited:
Are those Sporty muffs ? A popular add on.. I think Specials are starting to get some luv from Xs family. I liked my 82' sold it to a young guy.. his first bike. I bought one new in spring of 1983 with factory hard saddle bags... $1604.25. :cool:

They may be sporty muffs. I need to unwrap at the joint to see what I have. Looking in side covers and under seat, nothing is molested and seems dusty but factory original.

Well, that's always nice when they're unmolested. I wonder why the carbs were replaced. I think that money could have been better spent on other needed upgrades (stainless brake line, smaller MC, better rear shocks, complete new exhaust).

Found a nice 81 Special 2. PO did some nice things with a very original 17k miles bike. I will have to resolve an oil puddle, jetting, frontbrake after doing a few basic tasks. Valves, time chain and timing once the carb (brand new VMs) are jetted well enough to run with out the enricher.View attachment 221555
Nice catch TW. Looking forward to your vision for this one.

Well, that's always nice when they're unmolested. I wonder why the carbs were replaced. I think that money could have been better spent on other needed upgrades (stainless brake line, smaller MC, better rear shocks, complete new exhaust).
Completely cleaned and rebuilt BS34 included. PO could not remove 1 jet so just to save time went with VMs (afaik)AFAIK. PO is a great guy, just bought a RE 400 single. He has very tight 2 car garage and 2 cars and 2 bikes are very, very tight. He has CCRs in a nice condo community community stipulating vehicles must be garaged. Haven't sorted through anything yet. Tires are horribly cracked so I won't ride it until new or good tires but I want to lace up an 18 rear so am reluctant to buy a 16 at this point.

Last edited:
If you're set on 18" wheel, I saw a member here mention potential sale on a most beautiful complete wheel (not in classified) - he's from Kansas;)

I am developing a project list and a shopping list.
Charging at 14.4v at 3000rpm already checked.
Carb jetting, it runs on choke, spits and dies off choke. Figure out VMs
Find the oil leak, probably clutch push rod seal, note need a clutch cable before taking side cover off.
Valve lash
Timing chain tensioner and figure out why there is a drip of oil on acorn nut.
Spark timing and advance.
Starter button ground (need to twist handlebars sometimes to engage starter) :)
M/C and SS brake line with 90 degree fitting offset.
Balance/sync carbs.
On the brightside it has fresh oil because the drips on my floor are clean.

Looks familiar... minus the mismatched, taped-up rear Indicators. Sure I'd love an old standard but this '81 has been a great workhorse for the last seven years.
Spark timing and advance shouldn't be an issue on an '81 and I'd think about going with the bs34s. Have fun. -Jim

Attachments

• 20220216_083005.jpg
    20220216_083005.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 20220227_112245.jpg
    20220227_112245.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 115
The '81 model still grounded the start button through the handlebars over to the left switch assembly. That left one had the ground wire that ran into the headlight. This grounded the left housing. Clamping it to the bars grounded them, then clamping the right switch housing to them grounded it. The way you lose or get back the ground sometimes when turning the bars would seem to indicate the ground wire is loose, probably in the headlight.

Runs on one cylinder. Swapped wires and it still runs on the one right cylinder. Changed the plug, same.Dropped the float bowl, seems proper. Main 185, Pilot 42.5. Switched over to SS Allen head cap screws. $1.90 each but I have a feeling they will pay for themselves as often as I may have to go in for jetting fine tune.

Back