JesseeS Build Thread

After calling around to some powdercoaters, I decided just to prep and paint the bike frame and bits. Between obnoxious wait times, folks wanting to bend me over in price, or talking to me like I'm an asshole for asking questions, I'm going to just do it myself. I know prep is key. Going to take the frame down to bare metal in as many places as I can, and places that are too tough to reach ill sand. Let's get After it

After ponying up for powder coat on my XS2 frame, I decided I’d probably never do that again. Yeah it looks really nice, but I’ve done just as nice with rattle can Rustoleum. Spend your money on parts! 👍

After ponying up for powder coat on my XS2 frame, I decided I’d probably never do that again. Yeah it looks really nice, but I’ve done just as nice with rattle can Rustoleum. Spend your money on parts! 👍

I actually saw one of your posts about what rustoleum and pre paint you used and ordered all that. Your bikes cane out beautiful and I have no intention of this being a show bike. BTW, one place quoted me $600 for the frame and motor mounts.

After calling around to some powdercoaters, I decided just to prep and paint the bike frame and bits. Between obnoxious wait times, folks wanting to bend me over in price, or talking to me like I'm an asshole for asking questions, I'm going to just do it myself. I know prep is key. Going to take the frame down to bare metal in as many places as I can, and places that are too tough to reach ill sand. Let's get After it

Exactly why I’m painting the frame on my CB.

We have 2 powder coasters local. Both only blast with 60 grit sand.

They will not clean ANYTHING.

Long lead times - high prices and quite frankly not the best quality either. Lots of pitting.

When I lived in the city, good prices, lead times were still a bit long - they cleaned your parts spotless, and coatings were top quality.

Too bad you aren't closer Jesse.
Definitely hard to find quality work at a decent rate. The shop I was powdercoating out of got outrageous with his prices and I only really used his air and oven. Did all the work, prep and powder myself. That is why I started building my oven. It was as cheap for me to build it as it would have been to rent his air and oven. No brainer. I no longer have to shell out ridiculous dollars just to have a place to cook the paint.
Don't have to worry about fitting his schedule.
Much more convenient. I made him a bunch of money. He just got greedy. I personally liked the POR products when I was painting frames but just try and get a hard two part that is fuel resistant. Prep is everything obviously and if not going powdercoat you can use some filler to help clean up the frame ala @Jim 's masterpiece write up about the frame prep and paint on his build.
Very good read. I'll eagerly be following the effort. No doubt in my mind it will be sweeet.

Got a few spots of dust that'll need cleanin' up.... but yeah, happy with it. Mixed a little too much clear, so it got 3 coats on this go-around. No worries Jessee... I won't charge extra... :wink2:

1653693064079.png

1653693087857.png

Did some spring cleaning with the wife. We had a half finished basement, unfortunately, it appeared it was built by someone who “knew somebody who could do it cheaper”. So, we tore it all down. I’ve been working off a 6’ bench in the garage that ended up as a catch all, and me not wanting to waste material, ended up building a 16’ bench that ended up costing me $20. Not perfect but more than enough space to lay out parts and work on them.
5D7A5814-A553-43D5-AFF7-E95F184B075B.jpeg

Then I decided to work on the bikes frame. To hide my god awful welds (seriously I could work for Yamaha with those bad boys) I chose to use bondo over them. This is my second time ever using bondo. I made mistakes. It’s not perfect. That said, it looks much better than it did before. This is just one side, and I still need to finish sanding it all down and smoothing it out, but I’m happy.
747BC3DA-E9D8-487D-BEEB-A5070B9B3880.jpeg

84D99351-94C1-403E-BFCE-9743E3956714.jpeg

E6332822-E2C1-40B4-978E-BF6694031997.jpeg

Up side to a bad bondo job, just crack out the sand paper and get after it.

Looks like too much hardener and it kicked too quick on ya.

I like evercoat better (seems to flow better), but same same.

I gotta use it every day - I like to kick it slow, spread it as flat as possible, and right when it’s at the green stage of hardening, take a paper towel with acetone and wipe it down, it’ll really smooth it out and make your sanding job much less work.

It’s slower, but I try to only work a few areas at a time so I can catch em all in the green stage.

Just make sure you get all those scratches out or they will show (I’m sure you know that).

'Nother trick....

Bondo (polyester) is photochemically reactive. That means sunlight will really kick it hard. You can use that to your advantage on something easily moved around... like your frame.
I'll mix it very weak so you get plenty of working time.... then take it out into the sunlight. Once the UV hits it, it'll kick off like you mixed it way too hot.... like almost instantly.

Thank you for the tips guys! It appears Ive done quite a couple things wrong. There is no doubt I put too much hardener. I kept looking up how much to add as it always repeated the mixture is “critical” so I thought I stayed on the low end but apparently not. I also made a big batch instead of just doing small increments and focused too much on one area then ended up playing beat the clock. I also did it outside on an overcast day. So, par for the course haha. It was definitely a learning experience and if I end up doing it again I’ll be keeping these notes to look back on

Painted my frame yesterday with a few coats. It looks great! Then I was reading through @Jim s post about painting his frame, and just now, right at that moment when I read what he did, realized I never primed the frame. AWESOME. Very excited to wire wheel, sand down, and clean up the frame..again.

This is exactly why you drink AFTER a project, not before haha jumped the gun on this one. Oh well, the next step was putting the motor in so I’m glad I found out now rather than after wrestling the motor and wondering why all the paint scraped right off.

I used cognito moto wheels front and rear on my build.
Expensive? Yes, but I couldn't be happier. They were packed properly, fit like they were supposed to and great customer service!
I had a couple questions about mounting the brake disc. When I called, the guy I talked to was very knowledgeable.
I had some concerns and when he reassured me about the warranty, I was skeptical and said, "Are you sure that the warranty would be honored that way"?
He replied, "I'm certain. I'm the owner of the company and you have my word"!
I also used their steering stem to fit a GSXR1000 front end on my 650. It went together with no issues.

I used cognito moto wheels front and rear on my build.
Expensive? Yes, but I couldn't be happier. They were packed properly, fit like they were supposed to and great customer service!
I had a couple questions about mounting the brake disc. When I called, the guy I talked to was very knowledgeable.
I had some concerns and when he reassured me about the warranty, I was skeptical and said, "Are you sure that the warranty would be honored that way"?
He replied, "I'm certain. I'm the owner of the company and you have my word"!
I also used their steering stem to fit a GSXR1000 front end on my 650. It went together with no issues.
I have used quite a lot of Cognito kit on my bike.
Quality of engineering is first class. All contact with them has been professionally dealt with in a friendly manner. Highly recommend.
By the way I’m in the UK.

Back