JesseeS Build Thread

Just got back in from the garage. Swapped plugs and swapped leads. Same issue. Drained carb bowls and got gas out of each. Removed the carbs and checked inside. Float height seems to be ok. Nothing gummed up and moving freely. Swapped out the pilots and mains on the right hand side. Nothing clogged and replaced with 137.5 main and 45 pilot jet. Checked left side (bone dry side) and yup, pilot jet all clogged up. Flushed the carbs out, and replaced with new jets to match. Synced the carbs as close as I could get with my blind eyes and back on she went. Hooked everything back up, pull the choke, light her up and….nothing. Didn’t want to start up, just kept sputtering. Said “screw it” closed the choke, hit the button and she can right to life no hesitation. Idled right up. Let her run for a few and got hot headers on both sides now. Carbs definitely need to be synched, when I rev the bike it gets a ever so slight pop now and then, and when revving it doesn’t have a hanging idle, but when I release the throttle and the idle starts coming down it will rev back up for maybe half a second (after having already starting to rev down) then continue back down to idle. So definitely some fine tuning to do but at least It’s idling and running on both cylinders. Will do the fine tuning once the bike gets to a riding state. Thank you everybody for your insight!

I had a bit of weird idle like that, carbs were spot on… advance unit was a little less than par. Tightened up the springs just a smidge and all good.

Finally got my headlight brackets after 2 months of calls and emails, and they are the wrong ones….again. I sent another email but will probably just keep them this time because if I have to have another conversation about these brackets I’ll more than likely have a stroke.
670E312E-775E-41B0-A004-68525B16715C.jpeg

Cognito Moto. Honestly everything else I’ve ordered from them shipped same week and delivered in 2 days. Hell, my front rim which was custom drilled with custom spokes and laced/trued on their end was ordered after the bracket issue and was delivered before this. They just seemed to drop the ball on these, not sure why. There is no functional issue at all, more of an aesthetic one. The correct brackets would have my headlight sit further back into the forks, which is why I ordered the ones I did in the first place. I’ll survive with these no issue, it’s more of the point now. Waiting 5 weeks for a replacement and it’s still the wrong one.

The mufflers I’m running are the XS performance tunable ones. As they come, they were a bit too loud for my liking and when revved got a bit tinny in the higher rpm’s. The mufflers come with 3 Allen bolts to be able to tune them, I inserted all three to both sides. They are still a bit loud (10 years ago I would’ve never said this), but they sound much better. If you’ve ever seen the baffles, there isn’t much to be wrapped so I won’t be going that route. Apologies for doing it inside a garage, but my wiring is still rigged up for testing and it’s the easiest way. Like most things, it sounds better in person.

Cognito Moto. Honestly everything else I’ve ordered from them shipped same week and delivered in 2 days. Hell, my front rim which was custom drilled with custom spokes and laced/trued on their end was ordered after the bracket issue and was delivered before this. They just seemed to drop the ball on these, not sure why. There is no functional issue at all, more of an aesthetic one. The correct brackets would have my headlight sit further back into the forks, which is why I ordered the ones I did in the first place. I’ll survive with these no issue, it’s more of the point now. Waiting 5 weeks for a replacement and it’s still the wrong one.
tell them. they sent me the wrong bar risers 7 or so years ago and made it right even tho i had to wait for the replacements

Finally got my headlight brackets after 2 months of calls and emails, and they are the wrong ones….again. I sent another email but will probably just keep them this time because if I have to have another conversation about these brackets I’ll more than likely have a stroke.
View attachment 220336
Cognito shipped my large order of various bits to the UK but it took months. Then when I got the order they omitted one part. To be fair they shipped the missing part to Blighty the very next week. On the whole I'm happy with them and their products, but if the part you want isn't on the shelf you have to wait until a batch is being manufactured.

I did write them an email to inform them what happened. @Adamc they have been great up to this point. They just dropped the ball on this. The part in question is made by motodemic and not cognito themselves. They said if they didn’t have it they’d contact motodemic to drop ship it, and after weeks it’s apparent that never happened. It’s really not a huge deal I can use the part I have now, it’s more of the fact they sent the wrong part, took more than a month to ship a part that should’ve been on the shelf or contacted the manufacturer at least, and ended up getting the same part that I returned back

So, opinion time. What do the masses think of a front fender. This is a fair weather bike, and the fender would be a shorter one anyways so function is not it’s key purpose. I am about 50/50 on it myself, which is why I’d love others opinions.

This is a stock fender w/~3" cut front and bottom. I do think the fender fills an otherwise empty space. Any fender you choose would need to be shot in your tank colorwith a white pinstripe on each side following the radius of the fender. My 2c
20220720_163418.jpg

So, opinion time. What do the masses think of a front fender. This is a fair weather bike, and the fender would be a shorter one anyways so function is not it’s key purpose. I am about 50/50 on it myself, which is why I’d love others opinions.
I don’t have a fender (mud guard in Blighty) on my Tracker and I live in Blighty where it’s wet. It suits my fair weather bike; and I love the look.
The image you show looks like a Cognito style guard which would suit the clip-on style of your front end. It’s personal choice really so go with your gut.

I was thinking of doing something along the lines of this. The fender mounts on my forks are different so the brackets would be mounted differently but the same idea would apply.
View attachment 220802
I like that. Either stainless or aluminum is good. Resist a plastic one.

I was thinking of doing something along the lines of this. The fender mounts on my forks are different so the brackets would be mounted differently but the same idea would apply.
View attachment 220802
I'm leaning against a fender, but I would like to hear from those not running fenders for their feedback. BTW, I ride in the rain only on long trips, and a street tracker ain't for long trips IMHO.

I'm leaning against a fender, but I would like to hear from those not running fenders for their feedback. BTW, I ride in the rain only on long trips, and a street tracker ain't for long trips IMHO.
A "Tracker" runs in the dirt, so requires a fender. If you wish to replicate that.

Back