JesseeS Build Thread

If it was mine and I wanted a fender, I’d make something completely different than I could find online.

You’ve got a lot of off the shelf parts, used in their standard fashion. At some point it all becomes bland and looks like every other bike out there.

I say get creative (if you want a fender).

My opinion, I tend to have strong ones and get bored easy.

FWIW, one good argument in favour of a fender, it braces the forks so I would run one for handling reasons.

Sure, it ought to suit the style of your bike. But, with the greatest of respect I don't like the one you showed here https://www.xs650.com/threads/jessees-build-thread.61602/post-754215

To me, it's got too much of a style of it's own, draws too much attention, but taste is personal and it's your bike. Beautiful bike.

FWIW, one good argument in favour of a fender, it braces the forks so I would run one for handling reasons.

Sure, it ought to suit the style of your bike. But, with the greatest of respect I don't like the one you showed here https://www.xs650.com/threads/jessees-build-thread.61602/post-754215

To me, it's got too much of a style of it's own, draws too much attention, but taste is personal and it's your bike. Beautiful bike.
If I decide not to run a fender, I will run a brace. I was wondering how bad the debris blast would be.

If I decide not to run a fender, I will run a brace. I was wondering how bad the debris blast would be.
I believe this vid has a lot of wet weather fenderless riding in it. Yes, a fenderless front tire will throw debris in your face.
The FTR I recently borrowed had a mildly modified rear fender as many seem to do. I was riding in on well groomed Georgia roads and the rear tire was putting a lot of sand and pebbles under my ass.

The frame and engine take most of the crud slung up.
On road in dry weather you won’t notice it. Just clean your bike regularly.
Off road wear appropriate eye protection with your helmet.

Thank you for the input guys. It was something I was and still an toying around with. I’ll try playing around with some ideas, lengths and mounting options. If I can’t find something I’m happy with, I’ll just leave it as is

Quick update: Back in April I brought my swing arm to a local guy to weld up a brace for it. My welding has gotten better, but I don’t have a tube bender so that was my best bet. Took my time to measure everything out and get all the dimensions, then sent it over. Contacted him about a week ago after hearing absolutely nothing this entire time, and he hasn’t even looked at it yet. Needless to say I said Forget It and am going to pick it up soon. Kind of soured my mood on the whole brace thing, so I researched what could be done instead. Apparently, anything you want if you have the time to cut grind so on and so forth, but seeing as my frame was done, I didn’t want to do any of that. After buying a couple small things from William, I decided to reach out to him about a TX750 swing arm. He had one, we came to an agreement, and I just received it. Going to be completely stripping it, ordering Bronze bushings and the whole works and matching it to the frame. There’s not much left to do on the bike, but everything else now is $$ so I need to pace myself haha
E349DC8D-D59B-4AA9-906D-7B162C0C22FB.jpeg

That's bad - gett'in jacked around. Now you're ready; the TX swingarm is a good upgrade. I'd probably not do the bracing again, but had to try it once....

Attachments

• Shinko267 (2).jpg
    Shinko267 (2).jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 93
Thank you. I'd maybe do the TX swingarm straight-up and move-on. If you want to try bracing your XS arm, I'd be glad to take measurements. The welding wasn't hard and the bracing is just std. hardware store stuff. As you noted, the hard part is the lower loop bending. It's for looks - I don't ride it hard enough to tell any benefit.

The Shinko replaced a Dunlop K180A. It's the hardest compound of three they offer. I was hoping to cure "wiggles" in fast sweepers. Didn't fix it and any help may be my imagination:shrug:

It's possible that's the nature of the tires and it's possible I still have chassis ills (maybe even that fancy swingarm) :D

Thank you. I'd maybe do the TX swingarm straight-up and move-on. If you want to try bracing your XS arm, I'd be glad to take measurements. The welding wasn't hard and the bracing is just std. hardware store stuff. As you noted, the hard part is the lower loop bending. It's for looks - I don't ride it hard enough to tell any benefit.

The Shinko replaced a Dunlop K180A. It's the hardest compound of three they offer. I was hoping to cure "wiggles" in fast sweepers. Didn't fix it and any help may be my imagination:shrug:

It's possible that's the nature of the tires and it's possible I still have chassis ills (maybe even that fancy swingarm) :D
Thanks for the input on the Shinko's. Please keep us posted on the wiggles, your bike, not the children's show.

I am terrible when it comes to electrical, but, I hate the OEM connectors. There’s no reason for it, just just personally drive me nuts. My stator wiring was probably like everyone else’s, covered in oil from clutch pushrod seal weeping and hard as a rock. So, I stripped it all and cleaned it up. Wrapped with cloth tape, then covered in braided covering. I also replaced the OEM connector with an Apex. Much better.

Attachments

• 4C403730-98FD-4036-B3F2-307471ECD64D.jpeg
    4C403730-98FD-4036-B3F2-307471ECD64D.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 99
I am terrible when it comes to electrical, but, I hate the OEM connectors. There’s no reason for it, just just personally drive me nuts. My stator wiring was probably like everyone else’s, covered in oil from clutch pushrod seal weeping and hard as a rock. So, I stripped it all and cleaned it up. Wrapped with cloth tape, then covered in braided covering. I also replaced the OEM connector with an Apex. Much better.

Now that is a very nice way to upgrade the factory wiring! Even though nobody will see it…..you know how it looks! 😉

I'm thinking of using some of these Wago connectors. I sent off for a box of them a while back, just haven't got around to using them yet. Anything's got to be better than standard auto connectors.

Attachments

• s-l500 (8).jpg
    s-l500 (8).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 85
I used a couple of Wago connectors to connect several harness grounds to the (-) on a Motogadget inside the electric box on my bobber build - worked well and seems to be a durable solution.

I agree Jesse: I'm not a fan of the OEM block connectors. None on the bobber, 3 on the tracker @ TCI, reg/rect. and stator only

Thanks guys! I noticed with regular electrical tape if something had an oily residue on it, it would have a hard time sticking. My wires were cleaned up but still oily from soaking it in so long but the cloth tape held on and didn’t budge. Hoping it will last a long time. Togl I’d be interested in hearing How they work out for you

Back