JesseeS Build Thread

JesseeS

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
This will be my build thread. I think I'm actually going to finish this time. As I changed careers and life got crazy, money got tight, I changed the direction of the build and just about everything else got in the way. I'm about to enter my last year of apprenticeship, I'm now married, own a home and have a newborn. Still broke but damn do I need some garage time. My wife is also pushing me to finish (bless her heart). It will be slow going.

SO....I'm using a 1975 frame, everything else is supplied from an 81. I have the one and only @Jim working his magic on my tank and tins. I took the motor down and installed new cam chain guide and cam chain, 750 big bore, a refurbished head with new valves from hoosracing and 8 plate clutch. XS performance 2 into 1 exhaust. Running stock carbs for now but will possibly be changing them for the vm34s. Stock TCI ignition. I know it got beat around during the move so am going to make sure it's still working. If not, I'll replace it with a Vape. Waiting on the Motogadget M Unit to come in, then I'll test the motor and make sure it's all good. I have a lot of work ahead of me frame wise as I'm now fixing what a younger, much more dumb me did. I unfortunately don't always take pictures of progress but I'm trying to be better.

Here's some engine pics for now

Attachments

• 20211006_205441.jpg
    20211006_205441.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 20210912_200910.jpg
    20210912_200910.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 20211003_135254.jpg
    20211003_135254.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 152
  • 20210930_213151.jpg
    20210930_213151.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 149
Nice! I was wonderin' if you had a build thread. Following.
Just curious, is that one of the 750 cylinders with the stud holes too small... the ones from Yamaha650.com?

Nice! I was wonderin' if you had a build thread. Following.
Just curious, is that one of the 750 cylinders with the stud holes too small... the ones from Yamaha650.com?

Yes it is. Although I purchased mine after the stud hole issue was established and resolved. Had no issues and fit right on

Hello Jesse.
Sounds like you have a plan.
You already know that you are at the best place in existence for any assistance.
Motor mods sound intriguing and the fresh build should make it a fun ride. I'll be looking forward to following your build.
No doubt you will have a looker as well.
Jim's painted tanks are high quality and have the effect of attracting the eyes...
Like the rest of his efforts (rotors, crank triggers, etc) the first class effort results in first class results. Thanks for sharing.

I cut the rear hoop off a while back, regretted it and welded it back on. One thing I never really like was how much of an upsweep there was. It starts to kick up right after the shock mounts, so I cut the rear off. I chopped it right before the stock side cover mounts as I want to keep the side covers. Going to clean up the frame and install a new hoop with a less aggressive upsweep. Once that's on I'll be going over where and how I want to mount my battery box and electronics box and welding the mounting tabs accordingly. At the same time, I'm also going to be adapting a low profile luggage system to my bike using one that currently exists and is pretty modular. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220405-222229_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220405-222229_Gallery.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 137
  • 20220403_203345.jpg
    20220403_203345.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 133
Took some time in the garage today to clean up the work bench. Brought my apprentice with me so i could show her the ropes and she fell asleep. Figures. Its hard to get good help these days.
20220408_141238.jpg

Then this evening I started cleaning up the frame where the old muffler brackets and shock mounts were. Waiting on materials to ship to me so I can get the hoop and tabs mocked up and then get it all welded together. I've been putting off tiger pawing these tabs off as it's so tedious but it's done.
20220408_220723.jpg
20220408_220735.jpg

UPDATE: I mentioned while moving my ignition box got beat up so I was fearing the worst. This was also my first time really paying attention and rebuilding the motor. As it's Easter Sunday everything is closed so I VERY crudly wired everything essential to try and get the motor to start, and by some miracle, I didn't mess up and it started! It's not tuned at all but it runs, so I'm happy. Please excuse the tapping, it's mounted to a motorcycle lift and the exhaust isn't stabilized so it's shaking like a dog shitting glass.

Start Up

After a long internal struggle about the direction of the build, I think it's going into the cafe realm. This is strictly a weekend/sneak away for an hour bike, so long travel comfort isn't a priority, but it I'd high on the list. This bike also has significant importance to me, so I will never sell it. Therefore I'm going to spare no expense. I've really loved all the modern suspension on the new bikes I've owned, so I will be putting Ohlins in the rear and doing the gsxr fork swap. I know @Adamc Got a rear disc spoke conversion from cognito moto and I'll be going the same route. I'm fact most of my build parts will be coming from there. Not cheap by any means but made by fellow enthusiasts and makes the struggle of swaps virtually nothing. That is a long way aways though but just seeing what everybody thinks. Also, I think I've picked out the powdercoat for the frame and swingarm. It's called "Ford Tuexedo". I was never a fan of the wet black look on frames and really like the hint of metallic you'd see on newer bikes and that's exactly what this is. A gloss black with just a hint of metallic to sparkle with the right light. What do you all think?

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PMB-6994/ford-tuxedo

After a long internal struggle about the direction of the build, I think it's going into the cafe realm. This is strictly a weekend/sneak away for an hour bike, so long travel comfort isn't a priority, but it I'd high on the list. This bike also has significant importance to me, so I will never sell it. Therefore I'm going to spare no expense. I've really loved all the modern suspension on the new bikes I've owned, so I will be putting Ohlins in the rear and doing the gsxr fork swap. I know @Adamc Got a rear disc spoke conversion from cognito moto and I'll be going the same route. I'm fact most of my build parts will be coming from there. Not cheap by any means but made by fellow enthusiasts and makes the struggle of swaps virtually nothing. That is a long way aways though but just seeing what everybody thinks. Also, I think I've picked out the powdercoat for the frame and swingarm. It's called "Ford Tuexedo". I was never a fan of the wet black look on frames and really like the hint of metallic you'd see on newer bikes and that's exactly what this is. A gloss black with just a hint of metallic to sparkle with the right light. What do you all think?

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PMB-6994/ford-tuxedo
Hi JesseeS
Yes I did get quite a bit from Cognito and the quality is first rate. The rear hub disc conversion part is excellent but beware of two things. I struggled to get an alloy rim drilled to the right spec in Blighty; and now wish I had ordered a complete wheel from Cognito. I did in the end get a wheel builder to sort it locally however at a price! Secondly I have the Radian swing arm swap in my frame. This takes a 17mm axle which does not match the standard XS650 bearings for the rear wheel (and neither the new hub!). I did find a top hat bearing, with the help of 5T and JanP, from XS650.com to use on the one side that has allowed me to use the 17mm axle. If you retain the XS650 standard swing arm it wont be an issue.
Watching with interest; can't wait to see what you do.
A.:devil:

Hi JesseeS
Yes I did get quite a bit from Cognito and the quality is first rate. The rear hub disc conversion part is excellent but beware of two things. I struggled to get an alloy rim drilled to the right spec in Blighty; and now wish I had ordered a complete wheel from Cognito. I did in the end get a wheel builder to sort it locally however at a price! Secondly I have the Radian swing arm swap in my frame. This takes a 17mm axle which does not match the standard XS650 bearings for the rear wheel (and neither the new hub!). I did find a top hat bearing, with the help of 5T and JanP, from XS650.com to use on the one side that has allowed me to use the 17mm axle. If you retain the XS650 standard swing arm it wont be an issue.
Watching with interest; can't wait to see what you do.
A.:devil:
I appreciate the heads up! I plan on running the 17s front and rear so the whole wheel will be purchased, just a matter of what width to use. I have 2 swingarms so I can modify one to fit the 5.00 rear but not sure if I'm into that. I will be reinforcing the swingarm, not sure if joewiseguy is still Making his or I have to do it myself. Either way will be fine.

I love these bikes cafe styled.
I may cafe my '77 after the Punisher build.
Prismatic Powders makes quality powder.
Just pay attention to each individual colors baking temps and cure times. If doing it yourself be sure to use a quality temp gun because it is the part's temp that determines the cooking time not the oven temp. That tuxedo is sharp and glossy enough that no clear is required.
Going to be fun watching your build.

Not too much to update on. Found a guy local to me to weld up a brace for my swingarm. Turns out he also fabs custom gas tanks/seat pans and makes custom bikes. Chances are I'll be having him make up a seat pan for me. Started playing around with how big and where I want my seat to start and stop. Rough mock up right now, but I'll be able to tweak it more once my tank is back from Jim so I know where everything mates up. Got my hoop cut to the length I want and started to channel the down tubes to fit. Picking up some metal tomorrow so I'll be able to fit the frame slugs and hopefully get it truly fit up. Slow and steady.

Attachments

• 20220428_215117.jpg
    20220428_215117.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 135
Back