Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Not the kinda thing you want to post on this forum.:eek::redface:
Boy that sure took a different turn.... on the highway to hell. :laughing:

OriginalACDC-Highway-To-Hell-Cover-600.jpg

I heard the other day the Navy started issuing powdered soap in boot camp. Apparently... it takes longer to bend over and pick it up in the shower. :doh:
:laughing:

You mean like this...

View attachment 115758

I think the easier solution would be adjustable chain tensions on both sides of the cylinders. You could balance the stretch that way.

>> Had the oil sump off my '02 540iT 1st time in 167k mi. to check my oil pump bolts, possibly pull pump...new spring. The chain tolerance is 0.10 +- .02. My chain was loose @ .17 movement. One of the pump bolts if pulled out revels a hex socket that turns an eccentric that loosens or tightens the chain. Quickly got back to dead on spec. laying there on me side with my little metal measuring stick. I could feel the difference and some chain clatter was accustomed to went away. A little Loctite on that bolt..left every thing else alone. Surprisingly clean sump, no chain rail bits in sump screen or metal.

So... was out runnin' errands today and I kept hearing a rattle coming from behind me. Pulled into a parking lot soon as I could. The long and short of it is the baffles in the left muffler have broke loose. It's not the entire baffle tube because the sound is unchanged. It's damned irritating though... even at 50mph with a helmet on I can hear it.... grrr.... These are the EMGO commando's I picked up at Amazon for like.... 50-60 bucks apiece two yrs ago. Sometimes bein' a cheap SOB ain't so cheap. :rolleyes:...:cautious:
Anyway... what do we like for muffies nowadays? I like the early Commando style peashooters, but all I see out there is 1-3/8" openings. I've got the Mikes 1-1/2" headers, so....
Suggestions?

Last edited:
Jim, similar thing happened to me about 2 months ago on the Virago. The rattle got worse each time I rode so what appeared to be good exhausts on the outside went in the skip and new stainless pipes took their place. That's age for ya...:shootme:

My pipes are starting to rattle too.....;)

Think I'll pull that muffie in the next day or two and see if what's broke will shake out the front....

Back