Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Standards had the joint.
Somebody has a joint?
AA343436-F7F8-4431-9656-33631C90A430.jpeg

Yes, the Special exhausts are all two pieces. That being the left side and the right side. The mufflers are welded on. The crossover is welded to the left side IIRC.

To fit the small case protector (crash bar), Special headpipes are required.

There's two styles of special mufflers one type has a center exit, the other has it offset a bit. not sure when it changed but tween 79 n 80 would be my guess.
there's a gasket used in the joint. ;^) Weather's great, let's roll!

Mirror extensions showed up. Installed 'em. The extensions themselves are machined alloy and pretty good quality. The bolts are Chinese crap. The flats inside the allens started rounding out as soon as I started crankin' on 'em.
So anyway... they do the job. At idle the view in mirrors is about what it was and at highway speeds they're actually a bit better. The blur was noticeably less. I suppose that's all gonna depend on the bars, the rubber isolators and other stuff to do with vibrations... so that might just apply to my bike.
Used the GPS on my phone for a speedo. Even at 85mph the view is pretty good (for a 40+ yr old twin). Before the extensions the mirrors were about worthless at that speed.
Funny... pulled out on the interstate into a pretty strong headwind and all I could accelerate to was about 60. That was in 3rd... and when I gave it full throttle it actually bogged down even more. Finally looked down and realized I still had about half choke cranked in.... dipshit. :cautious:

Just to park this somewheres..... 65mph GPS is exactly 4000rpm (indicated) in hi gear.

And the reason I got 'em... fixed. No more shoulders blocking half the view in the mirrors. The view of cars pulling up behind me is as good as any mirror I've had.

1666550992405.png

1666551087884.png

Last edited:
I run a 32T on my 16" Special rear wheel and think it is ideal. I had the same on an 18" wheel and it wasn't as good. The "umph" through the lower gears really took a hit. For the 18" rear wheels, I like a 33T. One tooth difference doesn't seem like much but it really makes a difference.

I run a 32T on my 16" Special rear wheel and think it is ideal. I had the same on an 18" wheel and it wasn't as good. The "umph" through the lower gears really took a hit. For the 18" rear wheels, I like a 33T. One tooth difference doesn't seem like much but it really makes a difference.
I only weigh about 160... and that's if I go back for seconds. :rolleyes:
The 31T suits me just fine.

When my bike needs welding, which is very rare, I pay for a professional welder to do the work.
Bad timing for the trip to Germany, Pete. Octoberfest is over now. Chances are that all the beer has been consumed, and it may take a while for the breweries to gear up again. When I arrived in Munich a few years ago, this picture shows the first thing I did on arrival:
View attachment 107886
Oh that’s cruel, they had to milk every female cat in Stuttghart for that one glass? lol

Back