Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

That ain't gonna buff out.......
Anyone ever use the footpeg rubbers from MikesXS? Opinions?

IMG_20190427_164657.jpg

The Mikes rubbers always used to be crap luck to get a year out of them wouldnt be,surprised if those were Mikes ..

Yeah.... it's got loctite on it. It's also a pre-flight check item. ;)
I may be an odd man out but I have never been a big fan of those split lock washers.

Back some 30 plus years ago I rebuilt my Farmall BN from the ground up and one thing that never got put back was a single split lock washer. So far nothing has fallen off or come loose.

And if anyone questions the holding ability of even plain old Blue LockTite try properly cleaning and priming some fasteners and assemble and let set for a couple hours. Then try to remove!

One bit of warning if using Blue LockTite with the primer on a fastener you want to tighten with a torque wrench. Have the torque wrench set to the torque and the socket on it before installing the bolts! Made the mistake on a Cat torque converter once and had to fight like h3LL to get the bolts back out then clean up the parts to start all over again!

You did good getting O.E.M. footpeg rubbers, they're the best. The aftermarket ones MikesXS sells are pretty bad. They may not split like your old one did but they will wear "bald" in a short time. I think that's what was put on the '83 I got. They were terribly worn. The 40+ year old originals on my '78 are in better shape, lol .....

Nbwyu6X.jpg

rudC2yz.jpg

m83sqzv.jpg

Yes, originals are expensive, but I'm thinking it should be a one time purchase. This is a part I've started to watch eBay for. I just scored one for $15, about an $8 savings over what Yamaha gets for them.

"Uh Houston.... we have a problem....."

Ever have one of those nagging questions in the back of your mind? You know..... the kind where you really want to know the answer.... but kinda don't at the same time? Well....you can see from my pics that the footpegs have been sittin' under the bike since last fall. I could've installed 'em anytime.... but kept puttin' it off.... yesterday I installed 'em and climbed up on the seat... the moment of truth had arrived.

Lets back up a little..... about 2 1/2 yrs ago, I had my right knee replaced. The success rate for this procedure is about 90%. 9 out of 10 go about their merry way with a new lease on life. Well guess who drew the short straw? The Docs knew there was a problem pretty early on. About 6 wks into my physical therapy they put me under for what they call a "manual manipulation" procedure. While you're under, they bend the knee through the full range of motion numerous times to (hopefully) break up the scar tissue. My therapist, Heather, was a sweetheart. She worked her butt off for me. 3 days a wk she would have me in tears. The goal was a minimum 120° of motion with 135° being ideal. On a good day I could get 100°. Mostly I stayed around 90°. After 7mo. we both decided to call it a day... Currently, I can get about 75-80° without too much discomfort.

So here we are... the moment of truth. On the center stand, I can't get my arch on the peg. My heel will reach, but after about 30 sec. the pain starts getting uncomfortable. And riding with just the heel on the peg prolly isn't the safest way to ride. So, here's my answer... the one I guess I really knew all along. In our current condition, me and the bike can't ride.

Having a healthy dose of bulldog in me, I ain't givin' up. There's two solutions here, neither of which I care for. The first is to get my knee fixed. I've been speaking to my Doc. and here's how that would shake out.... more manual manipulation procedures and another 6 mo. of therapy. If that doesn't work (like my luck is gonna suddenly change :rolleyes:), it'll be knee replacement #2. This is actually the preferred fix but..... our "Current Administration" has tripled the amount of money us Vets pay for health care... and that would bankrupt me. I go on Medicare at the end of the year and that option will become affordable. So, long term that's my plan.

Short term, option 2 is to put highway pegs on her. To be honest, I've never liked 'em... but unless someone has an idea I ain't thought of......?

So, out comes the cardboard, TIGer, plasma cutter etc. I have an idea in my head as to what I want to build but if any of you guys have any ideas or pics of some well made ones, I'd really appreciate any input you think would be helpful. The idea is a bolt on installation I can take off once my knee is fixed.

Last edited:
Short term, option 2 is to put highway pegs on her. To be honest, I've never liked 'em... but unless someone has an idea I ain't thought of......?
Put your stock pegs on there as well. You can still stand up and feel the bike some that way too.
Lets face it many of us XS riders are feeling the miles and years on us.
My own Rt. knee injury history is YZ250 inflicted. Im about one backfire while kick starting away from another medical disaster.
(Titanium replacement)
My Lft. shoulder hurts so bad lately that I couldn't ride with buckhorn bars even if I wanted to.
Medical expenses you said ? Yikes, not a chance to fit in soon.
Ride it ! However you are able. Get yourself fixed up another day
;)

Jim I could add a third option to that list. As you only have to wait till the end of the year to be able to afford the new knee you could let me borrow the bike to ride it for the first year to do the shake down ridding on it and I would return it to you as soon as the doctor says you are good to go!

I'd post weekly reports on how things are going, just trying to help! Yamadude could even check up on me once in a while:rock:

Jim I could add a third option to that list. As you only have to wait till the end of the year to be able to afford the new knee you could let me borrow the bike to ride it for the first year to do the shake down ridding on it and I would return it to you as soon as the doctor says you are good to go!

I'd post weekly reports on how things are going, just trying to help! Yamadude could even check up on me once in a while:rock:

Damn. The generosity and willingness to sacrifice for the good of others on this board would bring a tear to the glass eye of a wooden Indian.

Back