John's Oil cooler questions

Muckroot

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I saw Johns post regarding adding an oil cooler from the larger displacement Yamaha's of the day to the 650, and I've been absolutely determined to do the same to my bike so I can take it all over the states and possibly down through Mexico with less chance of breaking down during long rides.

My question is this: what options do I have for making the two 90 degree turns out of the cut oil tube? I was thinking of soldering brass fittings to the tube, but apparently brass solder melts at roughly 102 degrees according to the plumbing store I was in; much too low for this application I would assume. I've also considered using a tube bender and making two lengths of small diameter rad hosing bent to shape to make all the corners and turns from the oil tube to the cooler without kinking, but I'd have to cut quite a fair length out of the oil tube to make that work, and I'd like the two elbows to be sharp turns if possible.

What ideas do you folks have?

IMG_8880.jpg

Wonder what solder Yamaha used when they put that delivery pipe together.
Thinking John used oil friendly hose to make the input/output to the cooler. Keep in mind that the lower coupling into the case needs to be opened a bit to allow more oil flow and then that restriction needs to be inserted on the output side of the cooler to return the flow into the head to spec. Rubber hose will allow that 1/8" restrictor to be inserted into the hose.......not sure how you'll restrict metal plumbing.......
If you're using rubber hose to connect the cooler at all then just cut the section out of the riser pipe and be done with it, forget the nice angles......a pig don't need lipstick.....lol

a pig don't need lipstick

fair enough lol. I also hadn't considered having to re-chrome the parts once the soldering is done. definitely not doing that because that'd be expensive and it's a part most people aren't going to look at 99% of the time. I think I'll go with a simple rad hose bender and just try to get as sharp a bends as I can and go from there. Thank you all for your input!

If I was doing that I would use silver solder, not as hot as brazing but hotter than plumbers solder.
Very strong when done correctly, Silver solder has the advantage of being compatible with some grades of Stainless steel.
Across the States and down through Mexico sounds interesting.

I must have missed something here but why do you have to cut the oil delivery tube to install a oil cooler?:umm:

I must have missed something here but why do you have to cut the oil delivery tube to install a oil cooler?:umm:

The oil cooler from a Yamaha 850 can be modified to bolt onto the front motor mount of a 650. but because (to the best of my knowledge) there aren't any oil ports on the case where pressurized oil comes out the easiest place to hook the oil cooler up is the oil delivery pipe that runs to the rocker cover. as an added bonus, this gets the coldest oil straight to the rockers, valves, and (sort of) cylinders before it has time to absorb heat from any other part of the engine.

Another thing I had planned on doing was creating air dam's that loosely resemble a cobras hood (and attach to the front frame tubes via pipe clamps for adjustability) to direct air over the cylinder fins. This is a work in progress though, and all I can upload are sketches.

My thinking is the colder I can get the oil and the more air I can force over the heat fins then the cooler the bike will run and the longer it will last. Really hoping to pass this thing on to my kids some day, and I'm only 22, so this bike will hopefully have a looooong life.

if you don't have soldering experience it not a good place to practice on. just do as xsjohn done and make a couple of grooves around the tube and use proper hose clamps to attach the tubing.

In his later posts he came to the conclusion the restrict-or didn't need to be moved to above the cooler or opened up. ........................He made the restrict-or larger because he added extra lines on the head, to feed the the tappets, (also in the thread of xsjohns mods)...............xsjohn did a few different things when doing his alterations............one of them, with his cooler, was also to make the factory oil pump more efficient, also a write up in that thread.

Back