Just a bit of a rant on the US Post Office of today!

Oh, it's worse than that. The Postal Service is under deliberate attack. There's a school of thought in economics that asserts that providing a service at cost or below by the public sector which could be provided for a profit by the private sector distorts market dynamics, and that any such services should be privatized.

And hasn't privatization worked fine for health care? When I was young most hospitals were funded by churches and local governments, and their boards of directors were unpaid, contributing their service pro bono. Costs were such that most patients paid in cash and waited for reimbursement from insurance, if they had it. There was one "chief" in a hospital system--the Chief of Staff, or senior MD. The business manager (AKA Hospital Administrator) managed a lean clerical staff. Doctors and hospitals didn't sic lawyers or collection agencies on patients who couldn't pay; that would have been unprofessional.

Then came the 1980s and the great wave of hospital privatization. Now we have whole tribes of parasitic MBA Chiefs (CEO, CMO, CFO, CCO, CQO, and on and on), sucking millions out of every hospital system at the expense of the patient, and health care debt is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the United States, with the rate being high among those with health insurance.

Think today's postal rates are high? Just wait for what happens when the private sector takes over mail delivery!

Think today's postal rates are high? Just wait for what happens when the private sector takes over mail delivery!

It’s no secret. When you push the UPS or FedEx option you’re going to pay considerably more. If we lose the Post Office that inexpensive not for profit option will be gone forever. The carriers we have now aren’t going to deliver mail. Your mailbox will become a relic.

When I'm looking for a part on ebay US, I'm happy to find a seller that is willing to send it USPS, as I know it won't cost me an arm or leg and will likely get here in a fortnight or quicker.
Over here, the private carriers are running their drivers into the ground, with impossible drop schedules and paltry payment rates. This leads to endless eff-ups where, to fool the system, the parcel is falsely declared as 'misrouted' to another depot. DPD being the worst for this. It's got to the point where, if I know a seller is going to send via DPD, I'll cancel the order.
On the Post Office side, the state mail carrier here, An Post, is diversifying to keep small rural post offices open, and they've become one-stop shops, offering banking services along with quite a few other things these days. There's still the threat of many rural post offices being closed, though.

Related rant;
Ebay shippers that lie about their location.
I need a rear tube for the hondamatic, cuz well grrrr.
Shopped for a CLOSE shipper rather than price, found one in Northern IL, great 1-2 dayz USPS, right? HAH 4 days later the tube is FINALLY marked shipped from MIAMI, FL. Then of course being marked shipped only means they printed a shipping label NOT that it's actually in the post office' hands. F-them!
On that rant be sure it's actually been accepted by the post office afore you start cursing them, cuz sometimes I see a week tween the label being printed and post office receiving. Some foreign (China) shippers say they are in US also, uh yeah, a sales desk, mebby. liars and cheats!
OK morning rant over. But the Honda still sits on the lift with no back wheel. :(

Last edited:
marked shipped only means they printed a shipping label NOT that it's actually in the post office' hands.
I've always considered that fact. Some drop-shippers have stuff coming from all over. At times, I don't care. My last order from Sirius Consolidated, Inc had a flat sipping fee from Ontario, Canada to me in Mississippi. One package came Fedex in Ontario, the other UPS from California. Both showed in two days. This is an exceptional vendor, unfortunately. There should be more. Get the stuff out the door!

. Then of course being marked shipped only means they printed a shipping label NOT that it's actually in the post office' hands.
On that rant be sure it's actually been accepted by the post office afore you start cursing them, cuz sometimes I see a week tween the label being printed and post office receiving.

:zzz::zzz: :laugh::laugh: :cheers:

Around here, sometimes, it seems like our mail went from being delivered by Pony Express, to being delivered by the Amish....
- clip clop, clip clop, clip clop.... :whistle: :doh:

Ordered a couple sets of early mufflers from MIkes Saturday evening (the 12th)
Figure order was processed on Monday the 14th in Tampon Bay FL
Delivered To Bareyourboobs WI today (Thursday the 17th) VIA UPS in perfect shape.

Ordered a couple sets of early mufflers from MIkes Saturday evening (the 12th)
Figure order was processed on Monday the 14th in Tampon Bay FL
Delivered To Bareyourboobs WI today (Thursday the 17th) VIA UPS in perfect shape.
Mikes/Dime City always get the stuff out the door very fast in my experience. It's one of their better qualities.

Back