Just Aquired XS-2

Major Domo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got this very clean XS-2 out of Texas last week. 18K plus miles, and bought for well under $5K. Previous owner re-painted the frame; body work appears to be original, with slight fading on the tank top. New tires, AGM battery, chrome VGC to excellent, Mike's XS mufflers, electronic igniton, Timken tapered steering head bearings, bronze s/arm bushings.He also stripped the clear-coat from the engine covers and lower fork legs. New drive chain and sprockets. Complete tool kit. Everything works. I do have to re-build the master cylinder, as it seems the shipper blew the seal when he clamped the brake lever all the way back to the handlebars. Will also strip/clean the caliper. Seat foam is shrinking and will be replaced in the near future; the cover is very good, however. Some hardware needs to be replace or re-plated. Dent-free tank was lined by original owner with aircraft fuel tank liner, and although it works well, the job was done sloppily, as it got all over the underside of the gas cap; new cap on order. I'll probably at some point have the liner burned out and re-lined with Redcoat. An XS-2, bought used in 1973 for around $900, was my firs big bike after my Bridgestone 90 Sport. Nice to have one again!
0775 5X7 200 dpi.jpg
0777 5X7 200dpi.jpg
0776 5X7 200 dpi.jpg

Last edited:
You'll want to find and read Mailman's XS2 resto thread. He found what looked to be a very complete and not too bad looking example but once he got into working on it, he found much that needed refurbing and fixing. Sometimes beauty is only skin deep, lol.

Beautiful looking bike Major, Congratulations! Who says you can never go home again? Enjoy your new bike. ;)

Back