Just bought an XS2

eight0

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new here and have just bought myself an XS2 US import which looks to be a real survivor. The clocks say 11k miles and I can believe it. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the tyres were original. It even has the full tool kit under the seat... obviously the seat isn't original which I will be replacing, and the paint which I'm hoping will t-cut up.
I'm a big fan of the cafe and tracker 650 builds but I can't do it to this bike, so I'm going to make it look nice and ride it as it is.
I'm no mechanic but am relatively handy, so will be on these forums and tech reference pages a lot I imagine.
It runs pretty well and the tank is totally free of rust but I have no idea how long it's been say.

Things that need to be done first:
go through the carbs, it's leaking fuel from the overflow so I need to check the floats and needles, as I'm already in there I may as well give it a strip down and good clean. (carbs scare me a bit but it's got to be done)
Tyres: Not sure what to do here. I'm tempted to get the Bridgestone BT45's but as the bike is so original I might go period correct, what do you think?
Oil has already been changed, and I will probably change the brake fluid too.
And as mentioned, the seat.
There is no play in the wheel bearings or head race that I can tell.
Anything else obvious I should be doing?

Thanks in advance

1.JPG

Thabks TwoMany, yes it certainly is an interesting seat. Someone spent some money on it but its not to my taste. To be honest i'm going to see if i or someone can reshape the foam and put an original style cover back on it with the metal trim around it.
Nice job with the brass sleaves on the overflow pipe, when i get some time next week i'm going to pull the carbs and take a look.

Back