Just Get Me Home

MacMcMacmac

Failed Hedonist.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
After being a good boy and disposing of my yard waste, I decided I needed a good ride to clear my pandemic addled brain. I was about 15 km out of town when my bike suddenly died.

Right, sudden death usually equals an electrical problem, so I was not surprised to find the main fuse blown. Unfortunately, I was without tools, and without any spare fuses. There is a price to pay for complacency, and this beautiful sunny day suddenly presented me with an imminent push home. I began to wish I smoked, since the foil wrapped around the fuse trick seemed the likeliest method to rectify the situation.

What to do...

Then I spied a discarded fruit juice can. Aha! Continuity! I manfully stripped a length of aluminum roughly the length of a fuse and wrapped it around the glass. I reinserted it into the fuse box and troubleshot the issue by releasing a calibrated amount of smoke. The brown wire leading to the alternator made a molten mess of the insulation. Not the smartest thing to do, for sure, but it certainly did narrow down the possible problems. I disconnected the plug to the alternator and rode home with a total loss electrical system.

I have ohmed out the rotor and windings and found no fault. I did find a break in the insulation of the brown wire leading to the alternator, so I am assuming the wire grounded out to the engine or frame. The fact that the bike ran fine all the way home with the plug disconnected tells me the fault was with the line to the alternator. This is the bunch of wires that takes the torturous route down to the alternator, next to the spinning countershaft and which is bathed in oil and road grime.

Fixing the brown wire is a trivial task, but the OEM vinyl (?) wire cover is brittle and cracking, so I'd like to replace it with something else. Does anyone have a good solution for replacing the cover? I was thinking armoured cable, but I doubt it would be flexible, or small enough in diameter to fit in the confines of the countershaft area. Does anyone know of a suitable sheath material?

I use fibre glass sleeving. Pretty much the same as Bosco linked to but possibly cheaper. It can be bought in black and natural in varying sizes.
I also use spiral tie its flexible plastic and also comes in black and neutral used for making wiring looms in electrical control panels. You cut off a length and wrap it around the item you want protected. I use it often on brake lines, fuel lines and wiring on sidecars. If you can get the black it shows grime less.

I never heard of this until having read a post from gggGary late last year. I purchased a roll and it is indeed amazing stuff. I shared the new find with friends in my car club and one friend quickly replied that when he flies (small aircraft) this tape is one of the most important items in his tool kit. Couldn’t say enough good stuff about it. Makes nice, neat, compact insulation repairs and is nice that it doesn’t get sticky when heated. Apparently you can patch a leaking rad /heater hose with it too.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me though it was an intermittent short probably in the rear lighting circuit. I looked for some trash along the ditches for some alu to wrap a fuse but none to be found, where's the litter when you need it? I did find that the brass fuse clips could be popped out of the body of the fuse panel and linked together. Something to keep in mind.

22 bullets. Audible fuse is blown signal.
Easy to see which circuit blew.
Nothing like a hot shot!
Scary thing is someone may try this, same as watching Ichiban Moto’s videos on you tube and trying yo do what he does. If you haven’t seen this it’s a must watch series of vids.

Does anyone know offhand what gauge wire is used on our bikes? I will need to open up the loom and check it out. That emergency tape is on the way and I will probably use it to replace most of the original wrap on the entire loom.

On the alternator wiring that snakes around the front sprocket I add a tie wrap to secure it just aft of the push rod guard, I've seen a couple of those harnesses chewed on in there.

I'll add a guess on the wiring diameter of 12 and 14 or 14 and 16 thereabouts.

Back