Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 11.05.33.png

Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 11.05.45.png

Thank you, Ads, for putting up that splendid picture of a Lightning. First grabbed my attention at a very young age when one featured at the Plymouth airshow. Made its first appearance flying very low and seemed very fast, to a little boy, then went into a steep climb. And the NOISE! Takes hold of your chest and won't let go.

For years after that, my favourite at the Leuchars airshow was the local fighter boys in their Lightnings. One year, a Lightning demonstrated why it was such a good interceptor - stationary at the end of the runway in front of the crowd, brakes off, accelerated away, took off, briefly kept a low rate of climb as the undercart went up and full re-heat was engaged, then rotated to a near vertical climb and went up like a rocket to sommat like 40,000 feet where it transitioned to level flight and just buggered off. Apparently that's not the optimum for altitude gain, but we wuz impressed . . .

Last edited:
Thank you, Ads, for putting up that splendid picture of a Lightning. First grabbed my attention at a very young age when one featured at the Plymouth airshow. Made its first appearance flying very low and seemed very fast, to a little boy, then went into a steep climb. And the NOISE! Takes hold of your chest and won't let go.

For years after that, my favourite at the Leuchars airshow was the local fighter boys in their Lightnings. One year, a Lightning demonstrated why it was such a good interceptor - stationary at the end of the runway in front of the crowd, brakes off, accelerated away, took off, briefly kept a low rate of climb as the undercart went up and full re-heat was engaged, then rotated to a near vertical climb and went up like a rocket to sommat like 40,000 feet where it transitioned to level flight and just buggered off. Apparently that's not the optimum for altitude gain, but we wuz impressed . . .
Yep it a fab picture and is now my screen saver.

The Electric Lightening minded me of a story about British aircraft. Similar to and better than F111, and built before the F111. I do not remember the name, machine got cancelled. Anyway terrain following and variable sweep wing, iirc. Maybe y'all remember the story, and maybe I remember inaccurately.

The Electric Lightening minded me of a story about British aircraft. Similar to and better than F111, and built before the F111. I do not remember the name, machine got cancelled. Anyway terrain following and variable sweep wing, iirc. Maybe y'all remember the story, and maybe I remember inaccurately.
You might be talking about the TSR2? Was it a World-beater or a White Elephant - cancellation of the project was massively controversial at the time.

Funny those two jets were picked...
My dad was about 4-5yrs in the AF when he started working on (brand new) F-86's... so about '51 or '52.
I was about 5-6yrs in when I went to the (brand new) F-16's... so about '77 or '79-ish.

A generation apart... it blows my mind the F-16 is now 50yrs old. Seems like yesterday. :cautious:

You might be talking about the TSR2? Was it a World-beater or a White Elephant - cancellation of the project was massively controversial at the time.
Was indeed set to take on all-comers, but the chickenshit Wilson government cancelled it and in an act of unrivalled pettiness and barbarism ordered all the jigs to be destroyed.
With the benefit of hindsight I smell corruption from the West (brown envelopes from fighter makers in the US) and the influence of Moscow.
Wouldn't have been the first time that both sides in the cold war benefitted from the same dirty tricks.

Back