Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Preserved. That's the permanent resting place... to be turned into an outdoor exhibit. Yes, very sophisticated for it's day. One of the first production jets with true all weather autoland capability.

Thanks. Took that pic of the SG a few yrs back for the calendar proofs.

L1011.... shot from the ride in the Great Lakes the other day...

z.png

zz.png

That your neck of the woods, Adam?
Its in Wales Raymond, but up in the North.
I'm a southern dweller with the stunning Wye valley and Brecon Beacons on my doorstep; both areas of outstanding natural beauty.
Its a bit like Scotland but not quite as cold; or midge ridden:doh:
I have toured extensively in Scotland (and Ireland) on motorbikes and loved every minute.
Nothing against England which does have beauty of its own; but my tours there were mostly work related.

THIS IS BLOODY AMAZING!
Watched that video on Thursday, then today while coming home from scrap yard I thought I was having a flash back. Not 100% sure but the quick look I got while driving home on the Camillus By-Pass, Yamadude will know where I'm talking, I glanced off to the left and caught a view of two large planes that sure looked like a pair of those Hercules flying low and banking to the left. I'm guessing they were heading to the Reserve Air base just north of Syracuse NY.

OMG, Hansen! Some years back, I was up in a bucket truck (working for the company that rhymes with "Horizon"), off Velasco Rd., and I could see all the planes landing at Hancock, and the 174th Airbase. From up there, they looked like I could reach out and touch them!
My wife worked at a medical billing place off Buckley Road and the other day she was commenting on the way the military planes took off on 9/11. Usually they took off nice and easy but that day even for someone not familiar with those things she knew they were serious from the way they were getting into the air!

Great stuff on the VFT site today. (there`s great stuff everyday).:thumbsup:
10Oct01-BillBoeing.jpg
10Oct01-P-59-Bell.jpg
10Oct01-F86-Sabre.jpg

You can bet your ass I had a Sabre jet model parked on my dresser top tarmac when I was a kid. What am I saying, I still am.:thumbsup:

ONLY MAD MEN NEED APPLY, Or very brave.
Here is a bit more, this time on board, from The Mach Loop in North Wales:
You may need to copy and paste, but its worth it.
Commentary is so cool by the pilot pulling up to 8G!
It where a lot of US & UK Airforce practice low level flight.

Just before lunch, my neighbor Jeff called and asked if I wanted to help him reposition the Great Lakes from Topeka back here to KC. Ummm lemee think for a sec.... why yes, yes I do. :sneaky:
Drove to the Downtown Airport, dropped off my truck and we took Jeff's to Topeka. Left his truck there and flew the G L back here to KC... then my truck to home. Returning the airplane to Topeka is just reversed. Got some good shots of the brick hanger in Topeka... I'll save them for another time. Anyway....

Decided to see how my Pixel2 XL did at an aerial video. My first try so lots of screwups... the first being me hitting record while pointed at my feet. :rolleyes:
First video is taxi out, runup, departure and climb out. Paused it at that point just to enjoy the flight. Did some aerobatics and 'ol dipstick here plumb forgot about the camera. Light bulb went off... so I un-paused it and we did one more roll. Went to pause it again until we were in sight of MKC and stopped the video instead. :doh:
Started a new video when we were on final for rwy 18. So, there's 2 videos and I ain't learned how to stitch 'em together yet... or whatever it is you call that.

Last edited:
Just before lunch, my neighbor Jeff called and asked if I wanted to help him reposition the Great Lakes from Topeka back here to KC. Ummm lemee think for a sec.... why yes, yes I do. :sneaky:
Drove to the Downtown Airport, dropped off my truck and we took Jeff's to Topeka. Left his truck there and flew the G L back here to KC... then my truck to home. Returning the airplane to Topeka is just reversed. Got some good shots of the brick hanger in Topeka... I'll save them for another time. Anyway....

Decided to see how my Pixel2 XL did at an aerial video. My first try so lots of screwups... the first being me hitting record while pointed at my feet. :rolleyes:
First video is taxi out, runup, departure and climb out. Paused it at that point just to enjoy the flight. Did some aerobatics and 'ol dipstick here plumb forgot about the camera. Light bulb went off... so I un-paused it and we did one more roll. Went to pause it again until we were in sight of MKC and stopped the video instead. :doh:
Started a new video when we were on final for rwy 18. So, there's 2 videos and I ain't learned how to stitch 'em together yet... or whatever it is you call that.

Man! That looked like fun! The camera sure does funny things to that prop, it looks like it’s either in slow motion or frozen. I don’t know how he sees to fly that thing, you guys sit so low in the cockpit and then he’s behind you. And I was surprised to see what a low rpm it operates, I thought that thing would howl! :laugh2: Cool videos!

The rear cockpit sits slightly higher when in level flight, so looking forward is OK...ish. :rolleyes:
When you flare for landing all forward visibility disappears. You fly by looking at the sides of the runway. During taxi you do 'S' turns to see what's in front of you. Biplanes are famous for bad forward visibility. The Great Lakes is no exception.
I thought that thing would howl! :laugh2:
What you talkin' 'bout..... for a Lycoming, 2500rpm is howling. 360 cubes and 200 gallopin' ponies.:smoke:

Back