Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

I believe it was this very plane.

Yes, looks like the same one that does the summer ride tour. Here's me in the right seat of it (2012?). I managed to get about 20 min stick time. What a hoot!! :laugh2:

trimotor.jpg

How was it?
Was like stepping back in time.
I was working at a little outfit in Lee's Summit building Light Sport airplanes.... the Renegade Falcon.

1654995857969.png

The Tri-Motor traveling circus set up camp one weekend next to our hanger and spent the weekend giving rides. On his lunch break, the Captain came over to check out our little bird. Not being one to miss a chance to go fly, I put him in the left seat of our demo bird and gave him a 30 min demo ride. Just to demonstrate how easy our little bird was to fly, I never touched the stick the entire flight. He thanked me and went back to giving rides in the big Ford.
In the evening, the golf cart they were using pulled up and the Capt asked me if I wanted a ride. Are you kiddin' me?

I climbed in and all 10 or 12 passenger seats were full. Looked up at the cockpit and the Capt was motioning me up front. Went up and had a sit in the right seat. Plugged in, buckled up and he gave me a quick brief.

So... we cleared #3 and fire it up. The engine gauges sit out on the engine. Good oil pressure and we cranked #2... the center engine's gauges are on the instrument panel. Soon as it was happy we lit #1. No doubt it's a 2 man airplane... he couldn't see the gauges on #3 and I couldn't see #1. So... 3 belongs to the right seater, 1 goes to the capt and 2 belongs to whoever isn't flying at the time. It was all pretty surreal.

1654998018728.png

And it was loud. We had noise cancelling headsets. Turn the cancelling off and you could barely hear yourself think. And this was just sitting on the ramp with all 3 at idle. We taxied out, did our runup and took the active. Locked the tailwheel and pushed the throttles full forward. At full gross it's all a pretty leisurely affair. It "thinks" about moving forward... after a bit, we're rolling and eventually the tail come up. I think it took about 30 sec and we were at about 60-70 kts. The Capt gave a hefty pull on the yoke and she lifted off. My overall impression at this point is that everything she does, she does begrudgingly. She'll do what you want, but she takes her sweet time doing it.

We accelerate ( :whistle: ) to about 75-80 and trim for climb out. The Capt looks at me and grins... "your airplane" he says. We're not even past the end of the runway yet... "I have the airplane" I call back.
"Keep her heading north and level off about 2500'. Soon as we pick up I-70 go ahead and turn west. Follow it to the stadiums and then back south. We'll do a big loop around Lee's Summit and land on 36."

How's it fly? First the elevator. It's heavy... until you trim it out. Once it's trimmed, corrections are just light bumps on the control wheel.
Turning takes a hefty boot on the rudder. Crank the ailerons over and kick in a whole lot of rudder and she rolls into a turn just fine. About here was my first big surprise. I put in about 15-20° of bank, rolled the yoke back to neutral and she just kept on wanting to roll. I kept feedin' in opposite aileron and some rudder. She eventually stopped at about 30° of bank. I looked down and I was holding almost full right aileron.

I'll mention here... there's no aileron or rudder trim. It took almost full right rudder and aileron to roll out of the turn. One thing I can say for sure, the guys that flew these back in the day had no need of a gym. :sneaky:

Over Arrowhead and I turned us south. Knowing what to expect, I nailed the turn this time. A lazy loop around Lee's Summit, and I lined us up on a two mile final for 36. "You have the airplane" I said. "I have her" he replied. No way I'm bendin' an old classic like this.

Overall.. she's a kitten to fly, long as you know she wants a good hand on the wheel. Roll into a turn and expect she'll take care of herself (like I did) and she'll give you a workout.

It's an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. And just to go full circle... my Dad was type rated on the ol' Trimotor. He spent a couple years flying cargo on her.

I was working at a little outfit in Lee's Summit building Light Sport airplanes.... the Renegade Falcon.

View attachment 216326

The Tri-Motor traveling circus set up camp one weekend next to our hanger and spent the weekend giving rides. On his lunch break, the Captain came over to check out our little bird. Not being one to miss a chance to go fly, I put him in the left seat of our demo bird and gave him a 30 min demo ride. Just to demonstrate how easy our little bird was to fly, I never touched the stick the entire flight. He thanked me and went back to giving rides in the big Ford.
In the evening, the golf cart they were using pulled up and the Capt asked me if I wanted a ride. Are you kiddin' me?

I climbed in and all 10 or 12 passenger seats were full. Looked up at the cockpit and the Capt was motioning me up front. Went up and had a sit in the right seat. Plugged in, buckled up and he gave me a quick brief.

So... we cleared #3 and fire it up. The engine gauges sit out on the engine. Good oil pressure and we cranked #2... the center engine's gauges are on the instrument panel. Soon as it was happy we lit #1. No doubt it's a 2 man airplane... he couldn't see the gauges on #3 and I couldn't see #1. So... 3 belongs to the right seater, 1 goes to the capt and 2 belongs to whoever isn't flying at the time. It was all pretty surreal.

View attachment 216327

And it was loud. We had noise cancelling headsets. Turn the cancelling off and you could barely hear yourself think. And this was just sitting on the ramp with all 3 at idle. We taxied out, did our runup and took the active. Locked the tailwheel and pushed the throttles full forward. At full gross it's all a pretty leisurely affair. It "thinks" about moving forward... after a bit, we're rolling and eventually the tail come up. I think it took about 30 sec and we were at about 60-70 kts. The Capt gave a hefty pull on the yoke and she lifted off. My overall impression at this point is that everything she does, she does begrudgingly. She'll do what you want, but she takes her sweet time doing it.

We accelerate ( :whistle: ) to about 75-80 and trim for climb out. The Capt looks at me and grins... "your airplane" he says. We're not even past the end of the runway yet... "I have the airplane" I call back.
"Keep her heading north and level off about 2500'. Soon as we pick up I-70 go ahead and turn west. Follow it to the stadiums and then back south. We'll do a big loop around Lee's Summit and land on 36."

How's it fly? First the elevator. It's heavy... until you trim it out. Once it's trimmed, corrections are just light bumps on the control wheel.
Turning takes a hefty boot on the rudder. Crank the ailerons over and kick in a whole lot of rudder and she rolls into a turn just fine. About here was my first big surprise. I put in about 15-20° of bank, rolled the yoke back to neutral and she just kept on wanting to roll. I kept feedin' in opposite aileron and some rudder. She eventually stopped at about 30° of bank. I looked down and I was holding almost full right aileron.

I'll mention here... there's no aileron or rudder trim. It took almost full right rudder and aileron to roll out of the turn. One thing I can say for sure, the guys that flew these back in the day had no need of a gym. :sneaky:

Over Arrowhead and I turned us south. Knowing what to expect, I nailed the turn this time. A lazy loop around Lee's Summit, and I lined us up on a two mile final for 36. "You have the airplane" I said. "I have her" he replied. No way I'm bendin' an old classic like this.

Overall.. she's a kitten to fly, long as you know she wants a good hand on the wheel. Roll into a turn and expect she'll take care of herself (like I did) and she'll give you a workout.

It's an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. And just to go full circle... my Dad was type rated on the ol' Trimotor. He spent a couple years flying cargo on her.

What a rare opportunity to ride in such a classic old plane, let alone fly it! Great story! 😀

View attachment 216326

View attachment 216327

I've had a lifelong passion for aviation, but sadly got sidetracked with auto racing. My dad flew J-3's and Stearmans when he was young but had to give it up when my sister and I came along ($$$). I had the privilege of flying on the Colling's Foundations B-17, (yes, that one) in '04. One of the greatest thrills I've ever had. A friend of mine was the corporate pilot for MCI back in the 90's. He got to fly one of the Spirit of St. Louis replicas. He said that it required 100% attention 100% of the time. He thoroughly believes that that was probably the thing that kept Lindbergh awake. Thanks for the great story. Please post more.

When my father returned from his WW2 tour of duty in Europe to FT Ord CA. my mother went to CA to be with him. They lived in Downey CA and worked for the Vultee Aircraft Co. That was in 1945. They were there for a year then came back to KS. More than once my dad said he wished he would have stayed in CA. Just think, I could have been a baby boomer beach boy gearhead in the 60 & 70`s in CA. Oh Well.:shrug:

When my father returned from his WW2 tour of duty in Europe to FT Ord CA. my mother went to CA to be with him. They lived in Downey CA and worked for the Vultee Aircraft Co. That was in 1945. They were there for a year then came back to KS. More than once my dad said he wished he would have stayed in CA. Just think, I could have been a baby boomer beach boy gearhead in the 60 & 70`s in CA. Oh Wel
My father in law was a hydraulic mechanic at Kaneohe Bay NAS, Hi. from 1942-1945. He loved his job and loved those Hellcats.

No Norma Jean here, but my wife’s aunt was a Rosie the Riveter in a fighter plane plant back in Cleveland during WW2. She was even included in a book about the women who did that. She would always say they were the best years of her life! 🙂
Another thing I wish I had paid more attention about when parents we talking. All I can remember is one bit about mom saying something about how she was using a drill to drill holes in something, no airplane manufactures near here that I know of, and her hair got caught in the drill and took out some hair. I do seem to recall it might have been some kind of vocational training class she was taking. So maybe she was going to be looking for a job drilling hole for Rosie to put the rivets into?

Also just remembered something about her learning how to pack parachutes! But then her older sister who was a WAAC brought her boyfriend who was in the Army home for a weekend and he had his buddy from the Army tag along. Not too long after there was a double ceremony and the rest is my history.

Now, I have always been a bit leery of helicopters. I've heard them described as "A metal fatigue test surrounded by an oil leak able to carry just enough fuel to make it to the crash site".

Nonetheless, I have to say that this CH46 Sea Knight is big (8' long) and nicely sorted out plus the pilot has great skills:

Now, I have always been a bit leery of helicopters. I've heard them described as "A metal fatigue test surrounded by an oil leak able to carry just enough fuel to make it to the crash site".

Nonetheless, I have to say that this CH46 Sea Knight is big (8' long) and nicely sorted out plus the pilot has great skills:

I rode around on the real ones quite a bit.

Watching the rotor planes edge on, you could see the disc tilting with control inputs and the -46 respond. That's pretty cool.

The silk purse of flight transformed into a pig's ear.

Back