Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

https://www.flywausau.com/tailwheel
6c6a09_a1fc2899dbf34c5b81b3a88ac11c7844~mv2.webp

Give the greatest gift ever with a gift of more than just a flying experience!
New for the 2022 season is Air Cadet for a Day, where you will be taken back to 1941 and fly our Stearman biplane Orange Roughy. This training will be offered three times in 2022 (with dates to be determined) and includes the following:
- First you’ll attend ground school explaining the cadet flight training experience during WWII.
- Second you’ll be briefed regarding our 1941 Boeing Stearman, the primary trainer flown by cadets.
- Third, you’ll be shown how to control and fly the airplane. Briefings last about 30-45 minutes with breaks in between to tour the airplane and answer questions.
- Finally you will take the controls of our open cockpit biplane for a 20, 40, or 60 minute flight experience, depending on how much flying you want to do. You will not ride...you WILL fly!
You don’t need to be a pilot and is for ages 13 and up...we promise you will never forget this experience.
Air Cadet for Day pricing ranges between $225 and $400 depending on flight time and gift certificates are available. Also included in the experience is an Orange Roughy t-shirt (pre-order only), so call us at 715.845.3400 or message us on Facebook to purchase your certificate today!

:geek:
Mikey and I signed up for July 16th.
Ordered this book as preparation.
“The Complete Flying Manual” by Lt. Col. Harold E. Hartney U.S. Air Corps. A Guide To Flying Tuition 1940. AN absolute treasure trove of golden nuggets on the art of stick and rudder.
Spent most my money on motorcycles n flying, the rest I just wasted.

Last edited:
“The Complete Flying Manual” by Lt. Col. Harold E. Hartney U.S. Air Corps. A Guide To Flying Tuition 1940. AN absolute treasure trove of golden nuggets on the art of stick and rudder.
:cheers:

Spent most my money on motorcycles n flying, the rest I just wasted.
Just an fyi... I made a strong lanyard to attach to my phone for the Great Lakes pics and vids. Using "just" your hands ain't gonna hack it.

A well-respected flying instructor once remarked that the best students he had were usually motorcyclists.
RIP Jim Beaton - one of the best.
An old instructor of mine reckoned mechanics made the best students... and pilots. He said they were more in tune to the airplane than the average person.

I find that sailors who have lots of time on a tiller make good flyers. Same thing tillers control the angle of attack of the sail. First discovered this when my airplane partner went out on my sailboat for the first time. After a few minutes at the helm he said it was just like flying. Hadn't thought about till then. Of course he has owned a XS2 with six inch over forks with stock rake since the bike was a year old.

Turns out it's a particular Boeing that the feds are concerned about 5G interfering with. Heard it on the radio at 3AM so didn't catch what model but I think it was the triple 7.
Which says to me there has already been a problem. Report claims flights have been canceled due to it.

Turns out it's a particular Boeing that the feds are concerned about 5G interfering with. Heard it on the radio at 3AM so didn't catch what model but I think it was the triple 7.
Which says to me there has already been a problem. Report claims flights have been canceled due to it.
I made this comment on a different (non-aviation) thread a few weeks ago. I'll quote it here (where it's more appropriate) for context....

I'll try and lay this out logically.... the facts anyway. The politics of it... not so much.

The concern aviation (FAA, RTCA, ALPA... etc) has is specific to Radar Altimeters (rad alt) and not to any other aircraft specific systems.
Rad alt's are used to measure height AGL (above ground level). More specifically, they're used during approaches in bad weather to let a pilot know when he's reached his "decision height".... the point at which he either continues visually if he see's the runway or executes a "missed approach" if he's still in the weather.

On CAT3 and 3A certified aircraft, the rad alt is used all the way down to the flare for landing... so yes, they are critical... and any approach requires there be 2 operable rad alts. One won't cut it. By regulation there has to be 2 so they can be compared to each other. Any disagreement between the 2 is grounds for a missed approach.

Rad alts operate in the "C" band of frequencies. More specifically, they are assigned 4.2 to 4.4Ghz in the C band
The FCC allocated and then sold off frequencies to wireless (ATT, Verison... etc) that butt up against that freq. range. Specifically, they gave 3.7 to 4.2Ghz to wireless for 5g use. Before anyone goes batshit here... wireless...5g is only using up to 3.98Ghz. They are not butting up against rad alts 4.2Ghz lower range.

So you can see, the FCC (and wireless) built in a buffer zone of just over .2Ghz between 5g and rad alts. That buffer should be plenty... and I'll note there's other systems world wide coexisting with a much smaller buffer.... including 5g in various other parts of the world. 5g in Japan, for instance, operates all the way up to 4.1Ghz and has been for almost 2 yrs now. So... less than half the buffer the FCC/wireless used.... with no reported cases of rad alt interference.
As to the politics of all this... I haven't a fuckin' clue. It's a real head scratcher.

I have found this little tidbit where wireless (specifically CTIA) argues that aviation used unrealistic scenarios to make their interference claims.... including the the testing of 40yr old rad alts.... which nobody uses anymore....

"CTIA disputed the methodology of the RTCA report, including non-identification of radar altimeter models tested by Texas A&M University’s Aerospace Vehicle Systems Institute (AVSI), the researchers’ choice of least-likely aircraft landing scenarios, unwarranted margins for RF interference–tolerance thresholds, and inclusion of radar altimeter models that have not been certified for 40 years, are outdated, and possibly are out of service in current aircraft fleets." Link.

So, will airplanes suddenly start falling from the sky? Not bloody likely. Will these lobyist groups... with tons of money on the line try and disrupt airline travel to make their point ?
Stay tuned.

Just read this on Reuters.

WASHINGTON, Jan 20 (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration on Thursday issued new approvals for additional altimeters that allow about 78% of the U.S. commercial air fleet to perform low-visibility landings at airports where 5G C-band wireless is deployed.

Some flights were being affected at San Francisco because of low visibility, with some diverted to other airports or canceled, airlines said.

Airplane models with one of 13 cleared altimeters include all Boeing (BA.N) 717, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787 and MD-10/-11 models; all Airbus (AIR.PA) A300, A310, A319, A320, A330, A340, A350 and A380 models; and some Embraer (EMBR3.SA) 170 and 190 regional jets. The FAA said it anticipated "some altimeters will be too susceptible to 5G interference" and will be prohibited from performing low-visibility landings near 5G deployments.

So... almost 80% of airliners are now cleared of 5g susceptibility. Didn't take long huh?
13 different models of altimeters cleared.... and they "anticipate" some will be susceptible. That tells me two things...
One, they haven't found any that "are" susceptible yet.
Two, CTIA was most likely correct in their claim that... 40yr old altimeters and unrealistic parameters were used in the initial testing by Texas A&M.

So we missed getting our ability to what stream multiple movies at the same time to our phones for a 1-2 months, a delay that is being used to systematically test and eliminate concerns about airline and medflights? Seems like the right thing was done. Well you know FAA and FCC and government fuddle fugging but that's nothing compared to other recent government fuddlefugs that continue to kill.

So we missed getting our ability to what stream multiple movies at the same time to our phones for a 1-2 months, a delay that is being used to systematically test and eliminate concerns about airline and medflights? Seems like the right thing was done.
Guess that's one way to look at it. Another way is, had the FAA done their own realistic testing a few yrs ago... and not pawned it off on lobbyist groups with tons of money to protect, this never even would have been a "thing" in the first place.
... and maybe we'd be talking about the FAI certifying the speed record of the worlds fastest electric airplane today instead.

1642794083886.png

Last edited:
Guess that's one way to look at it. Another way is, had the FAA done their own realistic testing a few yrs ago... and not pawned it off on lobbyist groups with tons of money to protect, this never even would have been a "thing" in the first place.
... and maybe we'd be talking about the FAI certifying the speed record of the worlds fastest electric airplane today instead.

View attachment 205849
I still think that would look better with 8 x .303 Brownings on it.

Back