Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

VFT today. That was the first plane I ever took the controls of. (well one like it) No take off or landing by any means but level flight, bank left, bank right, climb and descend was all I needed. I signed up for the Cessna private pilot school the next day.:thumbsup: Hooked? You Bet!
04Apr01-T-6 (1).jpg

VFT today. That was the first plane I ever took the controls of. (well one like it) No take off or landing by any means but level flight, bank left, bank right, climb and descend was all I needed. I signed up for the Cessna private pilot school the next day.:thumbsup: Hooked? You Bet!
View attachment 210959
My late father in law was a Navy aviation mechanic in Hawaii in WWII. For his 75th Birthday we bought him a ride in a T-6. I sure do miss him.

"Imagine volunteering for this: you and 79 other soldiers will fly 16 bombers that have never flown in combat before off an aircraft carrier not built to launch those bombers, fly those bombers over hundreds of miles of open ocean, race over enemy territory at treetop level, drop bombs, then eject or land a few hundred miles later and be either captured, executed or isolated far from home with no guarantee of return.

Oh, and by the way, you can’t take the bomber’s usual load of machine guns on the flight because it will weigh down the aircraft. Instead, take these painted broomstick handles and poke them out the turrets. That should frighten enemy fighters from a distance.

It does not sound fun, but that was exactly the job description of the 80 Army aviators who took part in the Doolittle Raid, the legendary mission to strike back at Japan shortly after the attack on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in December 1941. The raid, which historians credit with playing a key role in helping the Allies win World War II, took place exactly 80 years ago today."
Link.

1650392060791.png

Doolittle Tokyo Raiders, Crew No. 1 Crew No. 1 (Plane #40-2344, target Tokyo): 34th Bombardment Squadron,
Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle, pilot; Lt. Richard E. Cole, copilot; Lt. Henry A. Potter, navigator;
SSgt. Fred A. Braemer, bombardier; SSgt. Paul J. Leonard, flight engineer/gunner. (U.S. Air Force photo).

1650392226220.png

1650392250141.png

"Imagine volunteering for this: you and 79 other soldiers will fly 16 bombers that have never flown in combat before off an aircraft carrier not built to launch those bombers, fly those bombers over hundreds of miles of open ocean, race over enemy territory at treetop level, drop bombs, then eject or land a few hundred miles later and be either captured, executed or isolated far from home with no guarantee of return.

Oh, and by the way, you can’t take the bomber’s usual load of machine guns on the flight because it will weigh down the aircraft. Instead, take these painted broomstick handles and poke them out the turrets. That should frighten enemy fighters from a distance.

It does not sound fun, but that was exactly the job description of the 80 Army aviators who took part in the Doolittle Raid, the legendary mission to strike back at Japan shortly after the attack on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in December 1941. The raid, which historians credit with playing a key role in helping the Allies win World War II, took place exactly 80 years ago today."
Link.

View attachment 212277
Doolittle Tokyo Raiders, Crew No. 1 Crew No. 1 (Plane #40-2344, target Tokyo): 34th Bombardment Squadron,
Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle, pilot; Lt. Richard E. Cole, copilot; Lt. Henry A. Potter, navigator;
SSgt. Fred A. Braemer, bombardier; SSgt. Paul J. Leonard, flight engineer/gunner. (U.S. Air Force photo).

View attachment 212278

View attachment 212279

Truly a gutsy bunch of lads - lest we forget.
1650395066575.png

Pete

Link.

View attachment 212277

View attachment 212278

View attachment 212279
Balls the size of tennis courts.

Back