Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

I read this wondering what exactly the mechanics thought of them. Maybe the pilots too.
My dad was a truck driver. He had a safe job as all he did was deliver munitions to the front lines. He was always an aircraft enthusiast, flying J-3's and Stearmans (with an instructor) since he was 12.

As a retired fighter aircraft crew chief, I can guarantee they were called Pigs, Hogs, POS and other terms of endearment during their time. I worked on F-100's, F-111's, F-4D, F-16's and the mighty A-10A. All at one time or another were called these and more. I've seen 2 F-86's show up to Fighter Heritage training weekend here for the last 5 years. It's neat to see them fly with F-22's and F-35's.

https://www.businessinsider.com/disney-restores-walts-plane-rot-florida-field-look-inside-2022-10
6344a6dee2c5a500112d6487.png

A question for you helicopter guys. I was watching a movie the other day where this helicopter was coming under fire and he did this evasive maneuvering, including a barrel roll. Is that even possible with a helicopter?
In my mind I would think that would cause the helicopter to crash.

A question for you helicopter guys. I was watching a movie the other day where this helicopter was coming under fire and he did this evasive maneuvering, including a barrel roll. Is that even possible with a helicopter?
Yes they can.

A barrel roll was performed with a CH-53D many years ago. It did result in loss of altitude and some wrinkles in the fuselage. IIRC, the rotor head on that thing weighs several tons.

The Cherokee could do it easily, but the Army did not buy it.

Most helicopters can not barrel roll.

including a barrel roll. Is that even possible with a helicopter?
Depends...
There's three types of main rotor systems:
Fully articulated. Has a flapping hinge and a lead/lag hinge.
Semi-rigid. Has only the flapping hinge.
Rigid. Has neither the lead/lag or the flapping hinge.

Only the rigid rotor can perform aerobatic maneuvers like the barrel roll.

I'm surprised they would be doing those maneuvers under 2,000 ft
Not a big margin for error wow
That airplane is a monster. It will flip like a cat. Once the rotor was back on top, it was capable of 3000 fpm climb straight up. I’m witness to that.

Speaking about helicopters are they not dangerous .??
I have not seen any statistics for many years ,But in the 70 ies and well into at least 90 ies
a very high percentage of those fell out of the sky.
Admittedly sometimes hitting power lines and so.
But we are talking peacetime and with one would assume strict service routines in place.
I don't remember the exact percentage but it was high enough for me thinking its best to avoid them.
There was also helicopter accidents with helicopters from eastern block or persons sitting in them in Russia and Poland and so. Dying. If i remeber correct also in the Norwegian Offshore Oil business

As I understood it a complicated technical system and if some tiny little part broke There was little chance save the situation as with an ordinary plane with wings.
Maybe because they were used in harsh weather Winter storms and other bad weather rescue operations and so , was a factor.
But they fell down

Back